Converting Large Range of Numbers to Three Bucket Categories

PBOOT

I have seen a few posts similar to what I am looking to do, but nothing that seems to hit this question directly. My apologies if I am wrong. This is something I have found a few rough patches for in the past, but am looking to do in one straightforward formula (if possible) since I need to start putting more reports together from this data.

What I am looking to do is categorize heights ranging from 8 feet to 75+ feet into three categories: (1) "Less than 45 Feet"; (2) "45 - 65 Feet"; and (3) "Greater than 65 Feet".

My data has about 30,000+ data rows with various heights that are not easily bucketized (each data point can have a height that is only a few tenths of a foot off from another). Some are in meters and some are in feet, and that conversion is something I am comfortable with and can incorporate into a formula once I am able to create the three categories.

Once I have the three height categories, I can start assigning costs based on that. As I mentioned, I have found some patches to get the information I need, but it takes a lot of time and is not efficient when I have to recreate reports.

Any help and/or direction will be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Welcome to the forum!

A few questions. Would you be able to post a small example of your data? (see HTML Maker in the signature to post a clip of a workbook) Are you looking for a worksheet function or a macro solution?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back