Converting linked charts to images in PowerPoint

themad2

Hi

I've set up a series of Excel workbooks with charts and linked them to Powerpoint to if I change the original data, the presentation gets updated. I was wondering if there is a way to convert the charts in PowerPoint to pictures so they arn't linked anymore?

Thanks
Dan

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
In PP, right click the chart and select Grouping > Ungroup In the resulting dialog box that contains a warning about losing the link, reply "Yes".

If I were doing this, I would make a copy of the linked chart. Keep one copy somewhere off the slide. Now fiddle with the other but in the event you need to update with new data, you still have the linked copy.

Upvote 0
In PP, right click the chart and select Grouping > Ungroup In the resulting dialog box that contains a warning about losing the link, reply "Yes".

If I were doing this, I would make a copy of the linked chart. Keep one copy somewhere off the slide. Now fiddle with the other but in the event you need to update with new data, you still have the linked copy.

That's super, just the trick.

Basically I want to be able to send the powerpoint presentation to someone, but I don't want them to be able to see the raw data behind it. Even with linked charts, they are still 'charts' so there is still raw data hidden within the chart object. With this they are just pictures of charts so no raw data can be found.

Thanks for your help :p

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Sorry mate, just one more thing...

If I want to have several PowerPoint presentations created from different graphs, and I want to make them all from one template PowerPoint presentation, how can I do that? Basically I want to copy and paste the PowerPoint file I have at the moment, and change the graph that the link references to on the paste versions but I can't seem to find the code which references the link. Any help appreciated :)

Thanks
Dan

Upvote 0
It would appear you are looking for VBA code to do the needful. If that is the case, I suspect you will hit a double-whammy, as it were.

First, of all, accessing embedded/linked objects is tricky. Sometimes very tricky. For an intro see the incomplete
Case Study – Embedded and Linked Objects
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vba/vba-embedded or linked objects.htm

One of the more frustrating things I find is that sometimes information about an object is not available until you activate it at least once. Doing that through code is less than easy.

The other part of the whammy is that it is not easy to access information about the existing chart series. Of course, if all you want to do is overwrite the existing series with new range information, that should be easy. Just use the macro recorder in XL to get the necessary code. But, if you have to analyze and act on the existing series information, that's much more difficult. You can get started with John Walkenbach's http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip83.htm

You are welcome.

If I want to have several PowerPoint presentations created from different graphs, and I want to make them all from one template PowerPoint presentation, how can I do that? Basically I want to copy and paste the PowerPoint file I have at the moment, and change the graph that the link references to on the paste versions but I can't seem to find the code which references the link. Any help appreciated :)

Thanks
Dan

Upvote 0
It would appear you are looking for VBA code to do the needful. If that is the case, I suspect you will hit a double-whammy, as it were.

First, of all, accessing embedded/linked objects is tricky. Sometimes very tricky. For an intro see the incomplete
Case Study – Embedded and Linked Objects
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vba/vba-embedded or linked objects.htm

One of the more frustrating things I find is that sometimes information about an object is not available until you activate it at least once. Doing that through code is less than easy.

The other part of the whammy is that it is not easy to access information about the existing chart series. Of course, if all you want to do is overwrite the existing series with new range information, that should be easy. Just use the macro recorder in XL to get the necessary code. But, if you have to analyze and act on the existing series information, that's much more difficult. You can get started with John Walkenbach's http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip83.htm

You are welcome.

Thanks
Dan
Whoa, :eek:
Sounds v tricky. I might just create the objects again from scratch. I did try and look at the code within the powerpoint presentation but it wasn't standard xml or anything, so I couldn't alter it at that level. Can I download any macros which can do this for me?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back