Converting recipe measures to compound results (Cups, Tablespoons, Teaspoons)

CTSCo

I have a question that I am not sure can be described proper (From my viewpoint) to make sense for an answer; however, I will give it a try:
I have an issue with a new family venture that is calling for a simplified method to scale up recipes for use, and I wish to remove as much human error as possible with the measurements.
I work in standard US units of teaspoons, tablespoon, cups, pints, quarts, and gallons for dry measure and all of my recipes are built on family traditions that are scaling all wrong.
I have been finding that even the smallest of scaling errors on my/family’s part is changing the final product in ways that are making the final dish too different to put on the menu.
Even a 5% error when scaling to production level is altering a taste profile that is not acceptable.
I wish to take a simple recipe, such as:
1 cup flour
5 tablespoons Garlic Powder
3 teaspoons of Onion Powder
1.5 teaspoons Red Pepper Flake
0.25 Teaspoons Cardamom

And scale to a production level that would allow me to produce a restaurant usable amount, say a scaling factor of 50 or 100.
Simply using 500 tablespoons is causing issues with the final dish, and it unsuitable for offering to my customers.
I was thinking that if there was a way that I could take the original recipe, scale it so that the final would be shown as follows:
2 Cups, 9 Tablespoons, 1.5 Teaspoons
Or
1 Pint, 1 Cup, 4 Tablespoons, 2 Teaspoons

Would alleviate some of the issues that I have been experiencing.

I can use the CONVERT Function in Excel to scale, but I am ending up with a very complex end result that I not simple to use for my staff, and it is leading, again, to all sort of problems in the back of the restaurant.
I aware of the built-in standards for Excel that allow the conversions between different measures, but, the end result is unusable for the needs I have.
It is difficult for me to ask someone to measure out 432 Tablespoons with any standardization that would be usable, so, making the end result more “user-friendly” is the only thing that I can do, unless I contact an outside place to do it for me (Not a reasonable solution).
I have attempted to do the conversions myself, however, my skill level with Excel is not extensive enough to be able to get the results that I would like for my needs.
If anyone can help, that would be great, and I would be very appreciative.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
1 Pint, 1 Cup, 4 Tablespoons, 2 Teaspoons

How much fun is that going to be to measure?

Why not convert everything taken by volume to ml and everything taken by weight to grams? Then you could measure ...

Upvote 0
... which you could do like this:

A​
B​
C​
D​
1​
Imperial
ml
Amt
2​
qt
946.4​
3​
pt
473.2​
1​
4​
c
236.6​
1​
5​
Tbsp
14.8​
4​
6​
tsp
4.9​
2​
7​
780​
C7: =--TEXT(SUMPRODUCT($B$2:$B$6,C2:C6), "0.0E+0")
8​
9​
Imperial
g
Amt
10​
lbm
453.6​
1​
11​
ozm
28.3​
6 1/2​
12​
640​
C12: =--TEXT(SUMPRODUCT($B$10:$B$11, C10:C11), "0.0E+0")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back