Converting standard time to seconds

Student for life

Hi everyone,
I have a csv file of telephone calls. One of the columns has the duration of the call. I need to convert this to seconds. Just so you know, the values in the call duration column all look like standard time -000:00:06:44- but the cells are actually formatted general. Would someone please tell me how to do this?
Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Is this EXACTLY how they look
Code:
-000:00:06:44-

instead of

-00:06:44-

Upvote 0
If the times are normal standard hours
Try Formatting the cells as Custom and type in

Upvote 0
Hi Michael,
Thank you for your response. That's correct, the values in the cells look exactly like I showed. I assume these groups stand for number of days in a year, number of hours in a day, number of minutes in an hour and number of seconds in a minute. I followed your suggestion and changed the format of one of the cells in that column as such:
Home Tab, Cell group, Format, Format Cells, Custom, in the Type Box, I typed in S and that didn't do anything. I repeated all the steps but this time I typed and still no change. I know I can use Text to Columns and use a few simple formulas to calculate the number of seconds of each call, however I think there should be a way to format this column and get the values in decimals and not having to resort to Text to Columns.

Upvote 0
Ok, try this then...

Excel 2007
AB
1-000:00:06:44-404
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=TEXT(TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-000:",""),"-","")),"")+0

Upvote 0
=MID(A1,6,8)*86400

<b>Sheet1</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; padding-left:2pt; padding-right:2pt; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:145px;" /><col style="width:174px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td >*</td><td >A</td><td >B</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td > -000:00:06:44-</td><td style="text-align:right; ">404</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b>Spreadsheet Formulas</b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >B1</td><td >=MID(A1,6,8)*86400</td></tr></table></td></tr></table> <br /><br /><span style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt; font-weight:bold;background-color:#ffffff; color:#000000; ">Excel tables to the web >> </span>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Or =--MID(A1, 6, 8) and format as

Upvote 0
:oops:...darn, that's just a tad shorter than mine !!!

Upvote 0
Thank you Michael, Scott and shg. These are all great and I really appreciate your help. I'm sure I will be hanging around this site and post more questions and hopefully be able to help a few others along the way.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back