Converting string into formula

jcg31

Board Regular
Is there a way in excel using VBA to convert string ( "A17*(B17+B18)/A18" ) into a executable formula?

Thanks,
Jim

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

Trebor76

Hi Jim,

The following will calculate and return the result of a string to a message box:

Code:
Sub Macro1()

Dim strMyFormula As String

strMyFormula = "A17*(B17+B18)/A18"

MsgBox Evaluate(strMyFormula)

End Sub
Does that help?

mikerickson

MrExcel MVP
If you have the string "A17*(B17+B18)/A18" in A1

and define a name Name: CalculatedValue RefersTo: Evaluate(Sheet1!$A$1)

putting =CalculatedValue in a cell will have the same effect as putting =A17*(B17+B18)/A18 in that cell.

Mr_Roscoe

Board Regular
Jim - should be able to try these:

Range("C18").Formula = "=A17*(B17+B18)/A18"

or

Range("C18").FormulaR1C1 = "=R[-1]C[-2]*(R[-1]C[-1]+RC[-1])/RC[-2]"

CHEERS, Ian R.

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skiig

This Week's Hot Topics

• Sort code advice please
    Hi, I have the code below which im trying to edit but getting a little stuck. This was the original code which worked fine,columns A-F would sort...
  • SUMPRODUCT with nested If statement
    Hi everyone, Hope you're all well. I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction with a problem I'm having with a SUMPRODUCT...
  • VBA - simple sort is killing me!
    Hello all! This should be so easy, but not for me, apparently! I have a table of data that can be of varying lengths and widths. My current macro...
  • Compare Two Lists
    I have two Lists and I need to be able to Identify differences between them. List 100 comes from a workbook - the other is downloaded form the...
  • Formula that deducts points for each code I input.
    I am trying to create a formula that will have each student in my class start at 100 points and then for each code that I enter (PP for Poor...
  • Conditional formatting formula required for day of week and a value
    Hi, I have a really simple spreadsheet where column A is the date, column B is the activity total shown as a number and column C states the day of...