Converting to number format does not work correctly

Executioner

Board Regular
I have a seperate application were I export data to an Excel spreadsheet. Everything comes over correctly except for number formatting. It has nothing to do with the number format itself, but how Excel treats the number. They look like this which is visually correct on the screen:

If I select this column of numbers in order to format them to NUMBER, Excel does not process the numbers to NUMBER format. The reason I can tell they are not in number format is either by adding them, or even simply selecting these numbers ahd watching the SUM total in the bottom of the Status Bar. Nothing is displayed totaling the values.

In order for me to make it work, I have to convert it to TEXT first, then select NUMBER. At this point, it's still not a number. I then have to double-click the cell, then click away to another cell, and finally, Excel converts it to a number format.

Is there any way this can be done faster than double-clicking on each cell individually? I have almost 1000 rows of data to process.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back