Sydney288

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum so i'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm trying to make a form that will be able to convert a measurement that is in carpenters form to a normal FT'In' Fraction Format.

Ex. 9'6 1/2" is 09-06-08

the front 09-XX-XX stands for Ft, XX-06-XX stands for In, and XX-XX-08 stands for the 16ths of an Inch. so 8/16" is 1/2" Etc.

I'm trying to make a formula that will do this when i load it into Excel.

Please help me :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
=left(a1,2)*1&"'"&mid(a1,4,2)*1&if(right(a1,2)*1," ","")&choose(right(a1,2)*1+1,"","1/16","1/8","3/16","1/4","5/16","3/8","7/16","1/2","9/16","5/8","11/16","3/4","13/16","7/8","15/16")&""""

Upvote 0
Make sure you format the carpenter's form cells as text so excel doesn't convert them to dates

Upvote 0
Assuming the carpenter's form cells (Column A) are formatted as TEXT which the values you show them to have, put this in a cell formatted as General (note that for some reason, every time I did something in the formula cell, Excel changed the cell format to Text which made me have to deliberately format it as General and re-enter the formula)...

=LEFT(A1,2)+0&TEXT(MID(A1,4,2)+RIGHT(A1,2)/16,"' 0 0/#0'")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm still having issues with this. I have the whole thing, 1-09-04, in cell A1. I then place the formula in B1. I still get the Value Issue. Hopefully i'm not messing this up somewhere :/ i'm not great with excel.

Upvote 0
for the formula to work as written each quantity (feet, inches, sixteenths) has to be exactly two digits.

I got it to work! thank you! Now if i were to want to multiply that by just the number 3, how would i do that with a formula? I tried taking what the formula spat out and multiplying it by 3 but that didn't work :/

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back