Copy an entire row based on conditions in a cell , please !!

LIVERBIRD

Hi People, as this is my first post I don't want to sound dumb, so i'll make it as painless as possible. I have a workbook with an "Data entry sheet" and a "Copied data sheet". Is there a way to copy and paste the row where one cell has a "Y" in it automatically . I have explained inside the worksheet itself that while it is probable that a macro could do it , is it possible to do it without a macro ?

Cheers to all in advance !!

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Hi People, as this is my first post I don't want to sound dumb, so i'll make it as painless as possible. I have a workbook with an "Data entry sheet" and a "Copied data sheet". Is there a way to copy and paste the row where one cell has a "Y" in it automatically . I have explained inside the worksheet itself that while it is probable that a macro could do it , is it possible to do it without a macro ?

Cheers to all in advance !!
Hi LIVERBIRD, welcome to the boards.

Unfortunately formulas cannot carry out actions such as copy and pasting, you would definitely need to use a macro for that.

Having said that the VBA required to copy a row with a Y in a certain column is relatively simple. If you can let us know what column the Y is going to be in, and whether you want the code to look at an entire range of data and copy EVERY row where there is a Y value that would be very helpful.

Upvote 0
This code for example would check column F of each row on the Data Entry Sheet and if the value is Y it copies the row to the next sheet. The code does assume that you already have your header row in place on the Copied Data Sheet.

Test this out in a COPY of your workbook. The following code is added to a standard module and can be run either by creating a button and applying it to it, or by pressing ALT+F8 in Excel and selecting the CopyRowsWithY macro:

Rich (BB code):
Sub CopyRowsWithY()
' Defines variables
Dim Cell As Range, cRange As Range
    ' Defines the last row of both sheets based on column A
    LastRowDes = Sheets("Data Entry Sheet").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    LastRowCDS = Sheets("Copied Data Sheet").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
        ' Sets the range to be checked as column F on the Data Entry sheet (amend the column letter as required)
        Set cRange = Sheets("Data Entry Sheet").Range("F2:F" & LastRowDes)
            ' For each cell in the check range
            For Each Cell In cRange
                ' If the cell value is "Y" then...
                If Cell.Value = "Y" Then
                    ' Copy the entire row to the first blank row of other sheet
                    Cell.EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Copied Data Sheet").Range("A" & LastRowCDS).EntireRow
                        ' Increase LastRowCDS by 1 to account for the new data
                        LastRowCDS = LastRowCDS + 1
                End If
            ' Check the next cell in the check range
            Next Cell
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Fishboy,
Thanks for your reply . I tried the macro (I think i.m doing it right) but it brings up an error every time ( LastRowCDS = Sheets("Copied Data Sheet").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1)

By the way, the column that has the letter "Y" is column G. I wish I could upload the workbook for you to see, but I cannot find the button to do so. It would be a lot easier I think for you to see it.
Cheers again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back