Copy and Paste issue between worksheets

mikenelena

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So I am looking to copy 4 columns of data (C,D,G,H) from a worksheet called "Main" to target worksheets. columns A,B,E, and F. The code is copying C and D to A and B. Column D is pasting to D, and G and H are not pasting at all.I believe the issues lies in this block of code, but I'm not sure what the exact problem is. (If it matters, column C is a file number, B is date, G is currency, and H is a comment.) As always, I appreciate any help folks can ofer.

VBA Code:
If Not IsError(destinationSheetName) Then
                Set destinationSheet = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(destinationSheetName)
                Dim copyRange As Range
                Set copyRange = Union(appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 3).Resize(1, 2), appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 7).Resize(1, 2))
                destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Resize(1, 2).Value = appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 2).Resize(1, 2).Value
                destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(0, 3).Resize(1, 2).Value = copyRange.Value
                destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(0, 1).NumberFormat = "mm-dd-yyyy"
            End If

Here is the full code:

VBA Code:
Sub CopyDataToWorksheets()

Dim mainSheet As Worksheet
Dim generalsSheet As Worksheet
Dim payrollDatesRange As Range
Dim lastPayrollDate As Date
Dim appraiserNamesRange As Range
Dim appraiserName As String
Dim destinationSheetName As String
Dim destinationSheet As Worksheet
Dim i As Long

' Set references to the relevant worksheets
Set mainSheet = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Main")
Set generalsSheet = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Generals")

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

' Determine the most recent payroll date
Set payrollDatesRange = mainSheet.Range("B:B")
lastPayrollDate = WorksheetFunction.Max(payrollDatesRange)

' Set the appraiser names range to only include the rows with the most recent payroll date
Set appraiserNamesRange = mainSheet.Range("A:C").Find(What:=lastPayrollDate, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole)

If Not appraiserNamesRange Is Nothing Then
        Set appraiserNamesRange = appraiserNamesRange.Resize(mainSheet.Range("A:C").End(xlDown).Row - appraiserNamesRange.Row + 1, 3)

' Loop through the appraiser names range and copy/paste the data to the appropriate worksheets
        For i = 1 To appraiserNamesRange.Rows.Count
            appraiserName = appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 0).Value
            destinationSheetName = Application.VLookup(appraiserName, generalsSheet.Range("A:H"), 8, False)

Dim copyRange As Range
                Set copyRange = Union(appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 3).Resize(1, 2), appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 7).Resize(1, 2))
                destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Resize(1, 2).Value = appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 2).Resize(1, 2).Value
                destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(0, 3).Resize(1, 2).Value = copyRange.Value
                destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(0, 1).NumberFormat = "mm-dd-yyyy"
            End If

Next i

Else

MsgBox "No data found for the most recent payroll date."

End If

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

' Clear clipboard and display a message
Application.CutCopyMode = False

MsgBox "Data has been copied to the appropriate worksheets."

End Sub

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Try this:
VBA Code:
'                Dim copyRange As Range
'                Set copyRange = Union(appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 3).Resize(1, 2), appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 7).Resize(1, 2))
'                destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Resize(1, 2).Value = appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 2).Resize(1, 2).Value
'                destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(0, 3).Resize(1, 2).Value = copyRange.Value
'                destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(0, 1).NumberFormat = "mm-dd-yyyy"
                With destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1)
                    .Resize(1, 2).Value = appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 3).Resize(1, 2).Value
                    .Offset(0, 4).Resize(1, 2).Value = appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 7).Resize(1, 2).Value
                    .Offset(0, 1).NumberFormat = "mm-dd-yyyy"
                End With
            End If

Upvote 0
Hi mikenelena

maybe like this

VBA Code:
            destinationSheetName = Application.VLookup(appraiserName, generalsSheet.Range("A:H"), 8, False)

Dim copyRange As Range
                Dim lngFirstFree As Long
                lngFirstFree = destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
                Set copyRange = Range(appraiserNamesRange.Row, "C").Resize(1, 2)
                destinationSheet.Cells(lngFirstFree, "A").Resize(1, 2).Value = copyRange.Value
                Set copyRange = Range(appraiserNamesRange.Row, "G").Resize(1, 2)
                destinationSheet.Cells(lngFirstFree, "E").Resize(1, 2).Value = copyRange.Value
                destinationSheet.Cells(lngFirstFree, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(0, 1).NumberFormat = "mm-dd-yyyy"
            End If

Next i

I wonder why you look for the max in Column B and search in Columns A to C for that value.

Holger

Upvote 0
Try this:
VBA Code:
'                Dim copyRange As Range
'                Set copyRange = Union(appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 3).Resize(1, 2), appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 7).Resize(1, 2))
'                destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Resize(1, 2).Value = appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 2).Resize(1, 2).Value
'                destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(0, 3).Resize(1, 2).Value = copyRange.Value
'                destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(0, 1).NumberFormat = "mm-dd-yyyy"
                With destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1)
                    .Resize(1, 2).Value = appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 3).Resize(1, 2).Value
                    .Offset(0, 4).Resize(1, 2).Value = appraiserNamesRange.Cells(i, 7).Resize(1, 2).Value
                    .Offset(0, 1).NumberFormat = "mm-dd-yyyy"
                End With
            End If
I appreciate it aRandomHelper, but this produces a subscript out of range error on the following line:

VBA Code:

Upvote 0
Hi mikenelena

maybe like this

VBA Code:

Dim copyRange As Range
                Dim lngFirstFree As Long
                lngFirstFree = destinationSheet.Cells(destinationSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
                destinationSheet.Cells(lngFirstFree, "A").Resize(1, 2).Value = copyRange.Value
                Set copyRange = Range(appraiserNamesRange.Row, "G").Resize(1, 2)
                destinationSheet.Cells(lngFirstFree, "E").Resize(1, 2).Value = copyRange.Value
                destinationSheet.Cells(lngFirstFree, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(0, 1).NumberFormat = "mm-dd-yyyy"
            End If

Next i

I wonder why you look for the max in Column B and search in Columns A to C for that value.

Holger
I appreciate the helo HaHoBe, but this caused a subscript out of range error on the line:

VBA Code:

As to this question:
That not really what I intended. Column B is sorted. I want to examine it for a maximum date and work only with rows with that maximum date. (There will be many repeating maximum date values.) To determine the target worksheet for a given row, I need to take the value from column A (which will contain an employee name) and use that to obtain the target sheet name from Column H of a worksheet called "Generals". I've done that with the Vlookup. There is probably a better way, but I would like to solve the main issue first if I can.

Upvote 0

mixing Range and Cells is never a good idea, use either

VBA Code:
                'first range
                Set copyRange = Range("C" & appraiserNamesRange.Row).Resize(1, 2)
                'or
                Set copyRange = Cells(appraiserNamesRange.Row, "C").Resize(1, 2)

VBA Code:
                'second range
                Set copyRange = Range("G" & appraiserNamesRange.Row).Resize(1, 2)
                'or
                Set copyRange = Cells(appraiserNamesRange.Row, "G").Resize(1, 2)

Holger

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi HaHoBe,

The 2nd effort got it to work. I much appreciate your help! I went with the copyRange, by the way. My understanding is that it is the faster of the 2 ways.

Upvote 0

mixing Range and Cells is never a good idea, use either

VBA Code:
                'first range
                Set copyRange = Range("C" & appraiserNamesRange.Row).Resize(1, 2)
                'or
                Set copyRange = Cells(appraiserNamesRange.Row, "C").Resize(1, 2)

VBA Code:
                'second range
                Set copyRange = Range("G" & appraiserNamesRange.Row).Resize(1, 2)
                'or
                Set copyRange = Cells(appraiserNamesRange.Row, "G").Resize(1, 2)

Holger
HaHoBe,

I responded too quickly. I was so focused on making sure data came into all columns that I didn't notice that all data is the same. The code should be iterating through the names in Column A and distributing the rows with their 4 relevant columns of data (C,D,G,H) to target worksheets columns A,B,E, and F. Right now, the code is taking the values for the first row and distributing those same values for each name in the list. So, the number of rows moved is correct, but the values are wrong. Could I trouble you to take one more look for me? Thank you!!

Upvote 0
HaHoBe,

I responded too quickly. I was so focused on making sure data came into all columns that I didn't notice that all data is the same. The code should be iterating through the names in Column A and distributing the rows with their 4 relevant columns of data (C,D,G,H) to target worksheets columns A,B,E, and F. Right now, the code is taking the values for the first row and distributing those same values for each name in the list. So, the number of rows moved is correct, but the values are wrong. Could I trouble you to take one more look for me? Thank you!!
**Edit** I found the error:

This:

VBA Code:
Set copyRange = mainSheet.Range("C" & appraiserNamesRange.Row + i - 1).Resize(1, 2)
Instead of this:
VBA Code:
'Set copyRange = Range("C" & appraiserNamesRange.Row).Resize(1, 2)

and this:

VBA Code:
Set copyRange = mainSheet.Range("G" & appraiserNamesRange.Row + i - 1).Resize(1, 2)

Instead of this:
VBA Code:
'Set copyRange = Range("G" & appraiserNamesRange.Row).Resize(1, 2)

Many thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back