Copy and paste same sheet from multiple workbooks to different sheets on master workbook

Excel_Newbie4980

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Everyone,

Currently, I have a report where I have to copy and paste the same worksheet name "CENTER DATA" from 10 different workbooks into a master workbook. On the master workbook, there are 10 different sheets (One named for each of the individual workbooks). All I need to do is copy the entire worksheet from each individual workbook onto their designated worksheet in the master. Is there a VBA macro that can do this automatically by utilizing a module?

Example for clarity:

Master Workbook
-Sheet 1 (Center 1)
-Sheet 2 (Center 2)
-Sheet 3 (Center 3)
and so on until Center 10.

Each individual workbook: (All workbooks are located in one folder, "C:\Users\maw04\Desktop\AM-PM REPORT
-Workbook 1 (Center 1)
-Workbook 2 (Center 2)
-Workbook 3 (Center 3)
etc...

Each workbook has the same sheet that I am copying and pasting to Master, worksheet "CENTER DATA"

Please help as this is very time consuming!

The code is supposed to be installed in Master workbook in normal module.

I have tested the code with mock up 3 mock-up workbooks with name equal to 3 sheets in Master workbook and it ran just fine. What no clear to me is what you want to copy from each CENTER DATA sheet. My code was just copying whole sheet. Therefore. the whole sheet get replaced each time you run the code. You never mentioned what row or column to copy and how to handle new data coming in.

Right now is bed time for me ? and my sample work is in office. NOt sure what cause the error right now but if I have time during weekend I will try to find the cause.
You have it correct! I am just copying the entire worksheet. I will try it again and see if I have any better luck!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi, if it's only to copy entire sheet to the master workbook a VBA demonstration as a beginner starter - not tested as no attachment -​
to paste to the ThisWorkbook module of the master workbook :​
VBA Code:
Function ExistsBookSheet(BOOK, SHEET) As Boolean
                       V = Evaluate("ISREF('[" & BOOK & "]" & SHEET & "'!A1)")
         ExistsBookSheet = IIf(IsError(V), False, V)
End Function

Sub Demo1()
    Const C = "CENTER DATA", P = "C:\Users\maw04\Desktop\AM-PM REPORT\"
      Dim F$, N$
    With Application
        .DisplayAlerts = False
        .ScreenUpdating = False
          F = Dir(P & "*.xls*")
    While F > ""
          N = Left(F, InStrRev(F, ".") - 1)
        With GetObject(P & F)
            If ExistsBookSheet(F, C) Then
                If ExistsBookSheet(Name, N) Then Sheets(N).Delete
               .Sheets(C).Copy(, Sheets(Sheets.Count)).Name = N
            End If
               .Close False
        End With
          F = Dir
    Wend
        .DisplayAlerts = True
        .ScreenUpdating = True
    End With
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is not currently a list of centers, but I can create one. Each copy/pasted section is exactly the same range size and will never change.
Zot's code is at least 80% along the direction you're looking for. I can do something similar if you wanted to use the workbook open of the CENTER list, plus during each iteration, it'll also use the CENTER 1 etc. text to search for that section on your master sheet in order to paste it in the correct spot. I'll get back to you with an example...

Upvote 0
It'll appear something like this.... (needs tweaking, but hope it gets you close enough you can manage the rest:

VBA Code:
Dim MWkB As Workbook
    Set MWkB = ThisWorkbook   'The master workbook that is running the maco

Dim SourceWB As Workbook   'used later for the source wb's... the CENTER files

Dim myPath As String
    myPath = Application.ThisWorkbook.Path 'the file path for the MWkB

'Select Folder to Search through that contains the CENTER workbooks
    Dim PickFolder As FileDialog
    Dim CENPath As String   'CENTER path

'Retrieve Target Folder Path From User
    Set PickFolder = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)

With PickFolder
      .Title = "Select A Target Folder"
      .AllowMultiSelect = False
        If .Show <> -1 Then GoTo NextCode
        CENPath = .SelectedItems(1) & "\"
    End With

Application.DisplayAlerts = False   'freezes the screen so it won't bounce around... sometimes I like to see it flicker so I know it's doing something

Sheets("CENTER LIST").Activate    'change this sheet name to whatever you put your CENTER list

Dim lastRowCL As Long
    lastRowCL = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row     'Change the 1 to reflect the column number where you put your CENTER list; I used column A in this example

Dim i As Long
   Dim CFN As String     'going to use this variable as the CENTER file name

For i = 1 To lastRowCL    'this is the start of the loop, defining how many times (iterations) to loop through
    'Put whatever you want to do each time the loop runs:

'Open the CENTER i file
    CFN = MWkB.Sheets("CENTER LIST").Cells(1, i).Value   'the CENTER name on the list for iteration i

Workbooks.Open (CENPath & "\" & CFN & ".xlsx")  'opens the CENTER i file in the folder you previously selected

Set SourceWB = ActiveWorkbook  'reidentifies the CENTER workbook, which is now active, as SourceWB, for easier future reference

Sheets("CENTER DATA").Activate

'START Check for autofilter in row 1; delete this section if it's not a concern
    With ActiveSheet
    If .AutoFilterMode = True And .FilterMode = True Then   'Autofilter on and columns are filtered (toggle twice to reset filter)
            Rows("1:1").AutoFilter
        ElseIf .AutoFilterMode = True Then  'Autofilter on but not filtered
        Else        'Autofilter are not on
    End If
    End With
    'END check

Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(100, 100)).Copy  'Change the range, in (Rows, Columns) format for what you want to copy; I'd state the range and not use Cells.Copy because you want to paste into a section in your master worksheet, not the entire sheet

MWkB.Sheets("" & CFN & "").Activate

Range("A1").Select    'this needs to be where you want it pasted... if it's not A1 and somewhere else, adjust as needed
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormats, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
    Application.CutCopyMode = False

SourceWB.Close SaveChanges:=False   'closed that CENTER i file w/o saving

Next i    ' this causes it to go to the next iteration... after the last i, it continues below (exits out of the loop)

'In Case of Cancel
NextCode:
  CENPath = CENPath
  If CENPath = "" Then GoTo ResetSettings

Application.DisplayAlerts = True
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True

'Don't delete this!
ResetSettings:
  'Reset Macro Optimization Settings
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic

Upvote 0
Oddball,

This is currently what I have pasted in the module. It is still not working correctly...again, I realize it is an error on my part. Any other advice?

VBA Code:
Dim MWkB As Workbook

Dim myPath As String

FPath = "C:\Users\maw04\Desktop\AM-PM REPORT"  'Select Folder to Search through that contains the CENTER workbooks

TPath = "C:\Users\maw04\OneDrive - Service Experts\AM-PM Report\May\Mid Atlantic\5-Mid Atlantic MASTER MAY.xlsm"

With PickFolder
    End With

Application.DisplayAlerts = False   'freezes the screen so it won't bounce around... sometimes I like to see it flicker so I know it's doing something

Sheets("Centers").Activate    'change this sheet name to whatever you put your CENTER list

Dim lastRowCL As Long
    lastRowCL = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row     'Change the 1 to reflect the column number where you put your CENTER list; I used column A in this example

Dim i As Long

For i = 1 To lastRowCL    'this is the start of the loop, defining how many times (iterations) to loop through

'Open the CENTER i file
    CFN = MWkB.Sheets("Centers").Cells(1, i).Value   'the CENTER name on the list for iteration i

Workbooks.Open (CENPath & "\" & CFN & ".xlsx")  'opens the CENTER i file in the folder you previously selected

Set SourceWB = ActiveWorkbook  'reidentifies the CENTER workbook, which is now active, as SourceWB, for easier future reference

With ActiveSheet
    If .AutoFilterMode = True And .FilterMode = True Then   'Autofilter on and columns are filtered (toggle twice to reset filter)
    End If
    End With
    'END check

Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(43, 27)).Copy  'Change the range, in (Rows, Columns) format for what you want to copy; I'd state the range and not use Cells.Copy because you want to paste into a section in your master worksheet, not the entire sheet

Range("A1").Select    'this needs to be where you want it pasted... if it's not A1 and somewhere else, adjust as needed
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormats, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False

Next i    ' this causes it to go to the next iteration... after the last i, it continues below (exits out of the loop)

'In Case of Cancel
NextCode:
  CENPath = CENPath

'Don't delete this!
ResetSettings:

Upvote 0
Oddball,

This is currently what I have pasted in the module. It is still not working correctly...again, I realize it is an error on my part. Any other advice?

VBA Code:
Dim MWkB As Workbook

Dim myPath As String

FPath = "C:\Users\maw04\Desktop\AM-PM REPORT"  'Select Folder to Search through that contains the CENTER workbooks

TPath = "C:\Users\maw04\OneDrive - Service Experts\AM-PM Report\May\Mid Atlantic\5-Mid Atlantic MASTER MAY.xlsm"

With PickFolder
    End With

Sheets("Centers").Activate    'change this sheet name to whatever you put your CENTER list

Dim lastRowCL As Long

Dim i As Long

'Open the CENTER i file
    CFN = MWkB.Sheets("Centers").Cells(1, i).Value   'the CENTER name on the list for iteration i

With ActiveSheet
    End If
    End With
    'END check

Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(43, 27)).Copy  'Change the range, in (Rows, Columns) format for what you want to copy; I'd state the range and not use Cells.Copy because you want to paste into a section in your master worksheet, not the entire sheet

'In Case of Cancel
NextCode:
  CENPath = CENPath

'Don't delete this!
ResetSettings:
Which part it it throwing errors on? Run it, when it gives you an error box, hit debug then copy/paste in the forum the highlighted yellow section, thanks. It'll do that a few times as we work through it to correct everything.

Upvote 0
Which part it it throwing errors on? Run it, when it gives you an error box, hit debug then copy/paste in the forum the highlighted yellow section, thanks. It'll do that a few times as we work through it to correct everything.
Currently, it is giving me error code: "Compile error: Invalid outside procedure."

Upvote 0
I did...see uploaded image for what pops up.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0
Nevermind, I set it up on my end and figured it out. Had a couple of typos, try this:

VBA Code:
Dim MWkB As Workbook

Dim myPath As String

With PickFolder
        CENPath = .SelectedItems(1) '& "\"
    End With

Dim lastRowCL As Long

Dim i As Long

'Open the CENTER i file
    CFN = MWkB.Sheets("Centers").Cells(i, 1).Value   'the CENTER name on the list for iteration i

With ActiveSheet
    End If
    End With
    'END check

'In Case of Cancel
NextCode:
  CENPath = CENPath

'Don't delete this!
ResetSettings:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back