Copy and Paste to another Workbook .. Subscript Error?

Rpax

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I was wondering if you can help. I'am trying to open two excel files and copy cells from one to another. The files are opening but I'am getting a "Subscript out of range" when I try to copy the cells. From reading up on this, it seems that I need to break down the code further to a more readable format. Any suggestions so I can avoid the problem? . Thanks - Rpax

VBA Code:
MyDateFormat = Year(now) & Right("0" & Month(Now), 2) & Right("0" & Day(now), 2)
Set Excel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set ExcelNew = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

ExcelNew.Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ExcelNew.Application.Visible = True
ExcelNew.Workbooks.Open("C:\Program Files\Tank_Reports\Solvents"& ".xls")

Excel.Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Excel.Application.Visible = True
Excel.Workbooks.Open("C:\Program Files\Tanks.xls")
wscript.sleep(5000) 

[B]Excel.Workbooks("C:\Program Files\Tanks.xls").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:C27").Copy
ExcelNew.Workbooks("C:\Program Files\Tank_Reports\Solvents"& ".xls").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")[/B]

ExcelNew.Activeworkbook.SaveAs "C:\Program Files\Tank_Reports\Solvents_" & MyDateFormat & ".xls"

Excel.Activeworkbook.Close
ExcelNew.Activeworkbook.Close
Excel.Quit
WScript.Quit

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
You only need 1 XL application which can be used to open 2 wbs. As for your code, U seem to be missing the underscore after the copy line. HTH. Dave
Code:
Excel.Workbooks("C:\Program Files\Tanks.xls").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:C27").Copy _
ExcelNew.Workbooks("C:\Program Files\Tank_Reports\Solvents" & ".xls").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")

Upvote 0
Hi Dave,

Thanks for replying. I've changed as you have suggested (see below) but unfortunately, I'am still getting the error.

When I check excel, I don't have the path Excel.Application.Workbooks().Worksheets .. is this the problem?. I've been changing this around to get it working and sometimes I get the VBS error "don't have the Method".

In general, when I have a worksheet open, what is the path to get access to the cells i.e. Excel.Application.ActiveWorkbook?? Also, do I need to put in a .paste at then end when pasting the cells?

Thanks again for the help - Rpax

VBA Code:
MyDateFormat = Year(now) & Right("0" & Month(Now), 2) & Right("0" & Day(now), 2)
Set ExcelNew = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

Excel.Workbooks.Open("C:\Program Files\Solvent_Tank_Reports\Solvents"& ".xls")

Excel.Workbooks.Open("C:\Program Files\Solvent_Tanks.xls")
wscript.sleep(5000)

Excel.Workbooks("C:\Program Files\Tanks.xls").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:C27").Copy _
ExcelNew.Workbooks("C:\Program Files\Tank_Reports\Solvents"& ".xls").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")

ExcelNew.Activeworkbook.SaveAs "C:\Program Files\Solvent_Tank_Reports\Solvents_" & MyDateFormat & ".xls"

Excel.Activeworkbook.Close
ExcelNew.Activeworkbook.Close
Excel.Quit
WScript.Quit

Upvote 0
I'm not familiar with VBS coding but you can trial this...
Code:
Dim wb1 As Excel.Workbook, wb2 As Excel.Workbook
MyDateFormat = Year(Now) & Right("0" & Month(Now), 2) & Right("0" & Day(Now), 2)
'Set ExcelNew = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

'Excel.Application.Visible = True
Set wb1 = Excel.Workbooks.Open("C:\Program Files\Solvent_Tank_Reports\Solvents" & ".xls")

'Excel.Application.DisplayAlerts = False
'Excel.Application.Visible = True
Set wb2 = Excel.Workbooks.Open("C:\Program Files\Solvent_Tanks.xls")
'WScript.sleep (5000)

wb2.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:C27").Copy _
       Destination:=wb1.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")

wb1.SaveAs "C:\Program Files\Solvent_Tank_Reports\Solvents_" & MyDateFormat & ".xls"

wb2.Close
wb1.Close
Excel.Quit
WScript.Quit
HTH. Dave

Upvote 0
Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the help .. I've used your code and it is now copying the cells across so much appreciate the code above.

Just one last question. When I copy the cells across it takes the formulas etc and is still linked to a database in the first workbook. Do you know if it's possible just to take a snapshot of the raw data without the formulas in the background and remove the link. It doesn't necessarily need to be copied to\saved as a .xls file when I take the data. Any ideas or threads worth reading to overcome this?

Thanks again for the help - Rpax

Upvote 0
Hi Rpax. I'm glad that sort of worked. U didn't mention that there may be underlying formulas. Anyways this should work. Dave
Replace this code....
Code:
wb2.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:C27").Copy _
       Destination:=wb1.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")
With this (add the variables to the top of your sub)...
Code:
Dim RngArr(1) As Variant, Rng As Range
With wb2.Worksheets("Sheet1")
Set Rng = .Range("A1:C27")
End With
RngArr(0) = Rng
With wb1.Worksheets("Sheet1")
.Range("A1:C27") = RngArr(0)
End With

Upvote 0
Hi Dave, just want to say thanks again .. this was spot on a worked a treat.

I have to admit, I'am not sure what's going on with the above code but I will play around with it to see what it's exactly doing. Appreciate the help - Rpax

Upvote 0
Rpax you are welcome and thanks for posting your outcome. The code just loads the range into an array and then unloads it... it's also much faster than copy/paste. Have a nice day and stay safe. Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back