copy and pasting in excel causes crashing

CraigSmith

in a file ( made by someone else) then I copy then paste at a different row, excel pauses while pasting .

when I do it a 2nd time, the pause is longer,
when 3rd time and on, the system takes longer each progressive time.
eventually it crashes typically on the 3dr o4 4th time.

When it crashed this last tine, excel "fixed" the file
the report log file stated the following.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main"><logFileName>error087880_01.xml</logFileName><summary>Errors were detected in file 'C:\Users\james\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\jimsfile (version 3).xlsb'</summary><additionalInfo><info>One or more invalid conditional formats were removed from the workbook</info></additionalInfo></recoveryLog>

Does any of this point toward how I could remove the problem in the file before I receive one? I get these files often.

This issue is driving me nuts I need to copy and paste alot.
This occurs even on small files

My office is 2010 and the file was supposedly created in 2017 or some newer version

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Craig,

If I were to guess, I'd say that you're having the problem because of the file being created in a newer version of Excel. If you can, maybe ask the person who created the file to save the file in a "compatible" format, like an "*.xls" file. Then, you can upgrade the file to your version of Excel. That may solve the problem.

Brian

Upvote 0
When I say Excel fixed the file, it actually did fix it. the problem no longer occurs with that file.
It does with other new created files. No, I do not want to buy an another version of office because of this, I want to find out that is causing this.
and getting an automated system to save in another format is not an option.

I just realized the most important part of the post did not show, probably because it was a web address.
In the error report it referenced a web address which I listed below with spaced inserted to make it non functional.
Is this web address somehow in the excel file and when coping, and pasting it tries to access it?

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?
recoveryLog xmlns="htt p://schemas. openxmlform ats.org/spread sheetml/2006/main"logFileName error087880_01.xml/logFileName summary
<recoverylog xmlns="ht tp://s chemas.open xmlformats .org/spreadsheetml/2006/main"><logfilename></logfilename><summary>Errors were detected in file 'C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\jimsfile (version 3).xlsb'</summary><additionalinfo><info>One or more invalid conditional formats were removed from the workbook</info></additionalinfo></recoverylog>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When I say Excel fixed the file, it actually did fix it. the problem no longer occurs with that file.
It does with other new created files. No, I do not want to buy an another version of office because of this, I want to find out that is causing this.
and getting an automated system to save in another format is not an option.

I just realized the most important part of the post did not show, probably because it was a web address.
In the error report it referenced a web address which I listed below with spaced inserted to make it non functional.
Is this web address somehow in the excel file and when coping, and pasting it tries to access it?

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?
recoveryLog xmlns="htt p://schemas. openxmlform ats.org/spread sheetml/2006/main"logFileName error087880_01.xml/logFileName summary
<recoverylog xmlns="ht tp://s chemas.open xmlformats .org/spreadsheetml/2006/main"><logfilename></logfilename><summary>Errors were detected in file 'C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\jimsfile (version 3).xlsb'</summary><additionalinfo><info>One or more invalid conditional formats were removed from the workbook</info></additionalinfo></recoverylog>

Thanks anyway, Another user on a different site found the solution. It was very easy to make the correction. now the file flies and no resource issues.

Upvote 0
Thanks anyway, Another user on a different site found the solution. It was very easy to make the correction. now the file flies and no resource issues.
Would you want to share the solution with forum members who might be following this thread?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back