Copy Chart Formatting

HighKeys

Hello Community,

sorry for this dump question but i fight with it since 3 days, is there any way to copy the formatting of a chart?

If i do it with Copy then paste -> Formatting the datarows are switching and its even not similar to the first sheet.

I need to have the same formatting in each sheet cause i write a macro to create a PP for me out of this 32 Charts.

Thanks for your help!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
That's strange.

I would have suggested copying the whole worksheet with chart, then changing the data in the copied worksheet so the chart with the right formatting gets the new data.

Upvote 0
I'll confirm that HighKeys fix works.

I had a similar issue. I have a chart with three data elements, two are bar chart format and one is a line chart format. When I copy the chart and replace with new data, the color and data label formats don't hold. When I copy and paste special formats from the original chart the colors update but it changes the data elements between the chart types so the line format element should be the bar chart element and the bar becomes the line.

However, when I paste special format over it again it will change the data elements assigned to the chart type again. I have to paste special it three times till it matches the originals. Which is fine with me as long as I have a fix as I have about 60 charts to create. I tried the copying the whole worksheet with the chart to a new one but that fix didn't work.

Upvote 0
Thanks a ton Jon Peltier! I just tried that and it works. Much better fix than multiple paste specials.

Upvote 0
Another thing that might help with the formatting is to uncheck the "Properties Follow Chart Data Point" setting, at least while you are changing data and formats. See my tutorial Properties Follow Chart Data Point for more details.
This has been KILLING me all day. Thanks for the easy fix!

(Although my custom Legend Entries (Series) reverts back to "Series 1", etc.)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back