copy data from another spreadsheet

Art3mis

Hey! I am not sure if this is possible but I would like to extract data from one excel spreadsheet (preferably even when the spreadsheet is closed) based on key words that i insert into the first sheet.
For example, the second spreadsheet is a list of names and their corresponding phone numbers. (There are hundreds of names and numbers on the list)
On the first spreadsheet I would like to insert a name and have the corresponding phone number, as mentioned on the second spreadsheet, automatically appear.

I am not sure if this is possible or if anyone may have a similar idea that I could use instead... all help will be much appreciated!

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
You use the Term: Spreadsheet.
Spreadsheet is a term Excel used in the 1970's

We now use the terms:

Workbook and Worksheet

So I'm assuming you mean you have two different Workbooks

And you have not said what the name of the two worksheets are.

And you did not say where you want to enter a value and where exactly the value may be found on the other Workbook.
And where you want the results entered.

So I hope I can help you but I need a lot more specific details.

What is the name of the sheet we want to search and where on the sheet might we find that value.
And where should the results be entered.

We always need specific details.

And as far as I know we must have the script open the workbook we plan to search for the value.

Upvote 0
Hey, thanks. Sorry I am not yet fluent in speaking excel. After further research, I think I may be onto something with using the VLookup formula.

I set up my code like this =VLOOKUP("*"&A1&"*",'C:\Users\Name\Documents\name\[Book1.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$1:$C$12,1,0)

This is just a sample that i created on a practice workbook, I did not yet try it on the real thing but it does work with the workbook closed.

If you have another formula in mind or have a way to tweak mine into perhaps being more efficient, I'd be glad to use it.

To try to be more clear - my goal is to use one workbook (Names) as a datadrive with all the names and numbers.
The second workbook (Users) will have a list of various names in which I will input. Many of these names will already be in the datadrive with the corresponding phone number in the cell directly opposite. (Person's name A1 & Phone Number B1 and so on downward until A2000 and B2000) My goal is that when i manually type in a name on the Users Workbook the phone number that is adjacent to it in the Names datadrive will fill in accordingly.

Upvote 0
Glad to see you have found a way to do what you have now by just using a formula.
I'm not good at using formulas like this so maybe someone else here on the forum will have a answer for you.

I was going to us a Vba approach.

This is beyond my knowledgebase.
I will continue to monitor this thread to see what I can learn.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtariBaby

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back