Copy formatting via formula

jay86

Hi,
I just wanted to know if there was a quick and easy way to copy the format from a cell to another when I include the cell in a formula. I have a cell that I put text into and want it to show up with the exact same format (includes bold and underlined words, etc.), but this won't show up when I insert "=example cell"

Do I need to include an additional piece for the formula or is there something else that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
A formula can't do that, a macro maybe

You might need to use "format painter" to copy formatting from one cell to the other, the formula simply evaluates expressions but doesn't pick formatting from the referenced cell.

Upvote 0
Since the formatting is applied to characters within the cell the format painter won't help. The easiest way is to copy the cell itself but you'll need to use VBA and the worksheet_change event to test the condition rather than a formula and an if statement.

Upvote 0
Since the formatting is applied to characters within the cell the format painter won't help. The easiest way is to copy the cell itself but you'll need to use VBA and the worksheet_change event to test the condition rather than a formula and an if statement.
Just re-read and saw that the formatting was by characters, so it means conditional formatting won't work like you rightly pointed out

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back