copy one workbook into another without losing formula/links

Mining

Doe's anyone know how to copy multiple workbooks which include formula links between the workbooks being copied into an existing workbook whithout retaining links back into the original workbook i have coipied from.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Re: copy one workbook into another without losing formula/li

the only way i know how to kinda do what i think your talking about is to copy entire contents of sheet and paste special -> values.

i don't think this is answering your question, but it's one way. :confused: sorry if i didn't help.

Upvote 0

If you mean copying multiple worksheets from an existing workbook to another workbook, select all the sheets (click on the first tab then Shift+click on the last tab) and copy them all in one go.

Upvote 0

Andrew,

would that not still retain the links though? if there is a way, i wouldn't mind knowing either.

Upvote 0

If the "links" are only between the (grouped) worksheets, the formulas will refer to the sheets in the workbook to which they are copied, not to the sheets in the original workbook.

Copying a single sheet will create a link to the original workbook.

Upvote 0

click, click...and it sinks.
:) thanks!

Upvote 0

Maybe I wasn't that clear, I have two files with multiple workbooks in both, each file has formula that cross inbetween the workbooks but don't look outside the file. I need to copy all the workbooks out of one file into the other.

When I do this the cells which had formula in them that reference workbooks in the same file that was copied look back to the original file I copied from.

What I need to do is copy the multiple workbooks over without having the links back to the original file.

Upvote 0

i don't know if this helps, but i believe andrew is right.

i linked cells in one workbook to other sheets in the same workbook. then i linked another cell from that workbook to another.

when i copied all the sheets from the first workbook to the second linked workbook, all of the links from the pasted sheet, then referenced the cells in the workbook it was pasted into.

maybe i'm just not getting what your asking either.

Upvote 0

Your post is confusing because you keep using workbooks when you mean worksheets and file when you mean workbook..

Open the first workbook, select all the sheets (by clicking the first tab and Shift+clicking the last tab) and copy them to a new workbook. Open the second workbook, select all the sheets and copy them to that new workbook. If you copy all the sheets at once like this, the formulas in the new workbook won't refer to the old workbook(s).

Upvote 0

i don't know if this helps, but i believe andrew is right.

i linked cells in one workbook to other sheets in the same workbook. then i linked another cell from that workbook to another.

when i copied all the sheets from the first workbook to the second linked workbook, all of the links from the pasted sheet, then referenced the cells in the workbook it was pasted into.

maybe i'm just not getting what your asking either.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back