Copy-Paste Conditional Formatting IF, Format Painter Not Working

chelseasikoebs

Board Regular
I currently have a table with 16 columns (to P) and 2000 rows. Now that it's set up, I got the idea to gray out the text in each row individually if the "Shipped" column (column A) has a "P" entered into it. I have the conditional formatting set up for row 2 (I have a header row), but I can't figure out how to copy-paste the conditional format to alllll the other rows without doing each one individually. I've tried using the format painter, but it just copies and pastes the current format of the copied row (gray text), not the conditional format. Is there a way to do this?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
I have always found the Format Painter a bit tricky to use when it comes to Conditional Formatting. I have always had much more luck selecting the whole range I want to apply the Conditional Formatting to at once (up front), and then write the rules as they pertain to the very first cell in your selected area/
As long as you make proper use of Absolute and Relative cell references where appropriate, it will work (see: Absolute Reference in Excel).

So, if you want to apply the conditional formatting to the range A2:P2000, and you want it to look at the value in column A (for all columns), then you would need to lock that cell reference down with a dollar sign in your Conditional Formatting formula, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=$A2="P"

Upvote 0
Solution
I have always found the Format Painter a bit tricky to use when it comes to Conditional Formatting. I have always had much more luck selecting the whole range I want to apply the Conditional Formatting to at once (up front), and then write the rules as they pertain to the very first cell in your selected area/
As long as you make proper use of Absolute and Relative cell references where appropriate, it will work (see: Absolute Reference in Excel).

So, if you want to apply the conditional formatting to the range A2:P2000, and you want it to look at the value in column A (for all columns), then you would need to lock that cell reference down with a dollar sign in your Conditional Formatting formula, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=$A2="P"
Ah! That worked!! Thank you sooo much! I was trying so many different things, but did not try that!

Upvote 0
Ah! That worked!! Thank you sooo much! I was trying so many different things, but did not try that!
@chelseasikoebs - I believe you marked your own post as the solution accidentally, so I switched it as you also confirmed. In your future questions, please mark the post that answered your question to help future readers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back