Copy Paste Format / Formula Problems

russellmires

I have an IF formula that checks the contents of a different cell, and reacts accordingly. It is searching for a certain text "WTI". I have copied and pasted the text from another excel sheet. I made sure that the format of the cell I am copying from and the cell I'm pasting to are both in "text" format, but the formula acts as if the cell does not contain the text. However, if I type the text "WTI" over the same text "WTI", the formula suddenly works. It is as if the format is not set to text until it is physically typed in, and can’t be copied and pasted over. I am setting the format before copying, and have pasted values, formats, all etc.I can’t get any variation to trigger the formula until I physically type the text into the cell. I have come across similar issues with cells not accepting formats until the text is retyped, so I believe there is something fundamental about formats which I am not understanding.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Did you try to paste values only? This will strip pasted data from anything which might interfere with formulas. Sometimes a string can have characters or format excel won't show to a user but they are there. Especially when a value was copied from i.e. website.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised there isn't much response. I have come upon this problem several times and would think it would be a semi-important subject.

Upvote 0
In a blank cell use
=len(A3)
What do you get?

Upvote 0
I get 4.0? I'm copying and pasting the data from another sheet, so I'm sure that's part of the problem, but I don't see why.

Upvote 0
Apparently there is a space after the text. I'm not sure if that is where you were going with it, but thanks.

Upvote 0
That's exactly where I was going. :)

Glad it's sorted & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juggernaut24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back