Copy several Files( a bundle) to several folders and rename those fitting to the folder

N_Reef

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Can you please helps me? I am trying this now on my own for weeks.
You have such a great explanation here always but I could not find the fitting one for me.

I have to copy several files to all folders within a folder and renaming the beginning of the file name with the beginning of the folder name. This would help me a lot!

Example: We have a folder called MasterFiles which includes 5 Files with the structure as follows:
MASTER_PRODUCT1_YEAR
MASTER_PRODUCT2_YEAR
MASTER_PRODUCT3_YEAR
MASTER_PRODUCT4_YEAR
MASTER_PRODUCT5_YEAR.
Those include a some formulars and Makros so this should stay the same

Now I have another folder called 2021 and there in are 20 folders named with the following logic [Country_Countrycode]:
Germany_XXX
Sweden_XYZ
Spain_XCY
Now each of those country folders should get all 5 MASTER_files and instead of "MASTER" it should be named "Germany" for the Germany folder, "Sweden" for the Sweden folder and so on...
So it would for Germany look like
Germany_PRODUCT1_YEAR
Germany_PRODUCT2_YEAR
Germany_PRODUCT3_YEAR
Germany_PRODUCT4_YEAR
Germany_PRODUCT5_YEAR.

and the same for all the others.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Welcome to MrExcel forums.

Try this macro, changing the path to the MasterFiles source folder and the 2021 destination folder as required. I've assumed the MASTER_PRODUCT1_YEAR etc. files are .xls files, so change the copyFileNamesline if not.

VBA Code:
Public Sub Copy_and_Rename_Files()

Dim sourceFolder As String, destinationYearFolder As String
    Dim copyFileNames As Variant, copyFileName As Variant
    Dim subfolderName As String

sourceFolder = "C:\path\to\MasterFiles\"    'CHANGE THIS
    destinationYearFolder = "C:\path\to\2021\"  'CHANGE THIS

copyFileNames = Split("MASTER_PRODUCT1_YEAR.xls,MASTER_PRODUCT2_YEAR.xls,MASTER_PRODUCT3_YEAR.xls,MASTER_PRODUCT4_YEAR.xls,MASTER_PRODUCT5_YEAR.xls", ",")

If Right(sourceFolder, 1) <> "\" Then sourceFolder = sourceFolder & "\"
    If Right(destinationYearFolder, 1) <> "\" Then destinationYearFolder = destinationYearFolder & "\"

subfolderName = Dir(destinationYearFolder, vbDirectory)
    While subfolderName <> vbNullString
        If (GetAttr(destinationYearFolder & subfolderName) And vbDirectory) = vbDirectory Then
            If subfolderName <> "." And subfolderName <> ".." Then
                For Each copyFileName In copyFileNames
                    FileCopy sourceFolder & copyFileName, destinationYearFolder & subfolderName & "\" & Left(subfolderName, InStr(subfolderName, "_") - 1) & Mid(copyFileName, InStr(copyFileName, "_"))
                Next
            End If
        End If
        subfolderName = Dir()
    Wend

MsgBox "Done"

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Oh my good ! It works perfectly. Feels like magic or next world wonder ^^! Thank you so much John ???!!
Yes, those are xlsm-files =].
Would it be possible to enter the File country name we entered in the File name as well in "tab 2" in cell "A2" of each single file? [Cell A2 is merged with Columns: A2&3 + B2&3+ C2&3+ D2&3]

Thank you a lot for helping me realizing and understanding. I try to study each line to learn =)).

BR, Nadine

Upvote 0
I am not sure how this could happen but I now get the error 5: [invalid procedure call or argument]. Debugger marks following line within the mentioned code :
FileCopy sourceFolder & copyFileName, destinationYearFolder & subfolderName & "\" & Left(subfolderName, InStr(subfolderName, "_") - 1) & Mid(copyFileName, InStr(copyFileName, "_"))

What chenged inbetween:
I added some more modules to test other steps separately. I as well added following (marked red) to be flexible in using the years. I added the year 2025 in Cell D2 in active work sheet and a button linked to the makro in Excel.

Dim sourceFolder As String, destinationYearFolder As String
Dim copyFileNames As Variant, copyFileName As Variant
Dim subfolderName As String
Dim StartYear As String
StartYear = ActiveSheet.Range("StartYear")

sourceFolder = "C:\Users\ledern\Desktop\umbenennen der STRAP Master files IMPROVEMENT Project\Master Files\" 'CHANGE THIS
destinationYearFolder = "C:\Users\ledern\Desktop\umbenennen der STRAP Master files IMPROVEMENT Project\03_Sent out Files " & StartYear 'CHANGE THIS

MsgBox "Done"

End Sub

However, Even though I delete the code completely and enter your original one again by only changing the file name as I did in the beginning, the error 5 shows up again.
Can you see what's wrong here?
Ah maybe this is important. when I click with the right mousekey on definition, following text shows up: "Identifier under cursor is not recognized".

Thank you for some enlightement ?
BR, Nadine

Attachments

• 1616169078041.png
    1616169078041.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1616169091096.png
    1616169091096.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1616169109536.png
    1616169109536.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1616169152865.png
    1616169152865.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealJoaquin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back