copying a formula from a cell, but i just want the number

stevelucky

Board Regular
i have a cell that contains the formula: =I4*0.02

i want to be able to copy the generated number from that cell and paste it into another cell. but when i copy it, it obviously just copies the formula and pastes that. any ideas?

i.e. - the formula in that cell generates the number, "10". i want to be able to copy that cell and paste "10" into another cell, instead of copying the formula, =I4*0.02.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.

stevelucky

Board Regular
is there an easier way to do it? not that this is hard, but i want it to require no special training. i want it to be just like regular cutting and pasting for the user.

jmckeone

simply customize your toolbar to include the paste values icon ... then no drilling through submenus ... just click the icon as you would the paste icon

stevelucky

Board Regular

ADVERTISEMENT

I suppose that would work, though I'm a keyboard shortcut guy. Plus with the "paste special" command, you have to click on values in the box that pops up which addsa nother step to the process. it wouldn't be a big deal if i weren't pasting quite often.

Jonmo1

MrExcel MVP
well, for keyboard shortcut, you could record a macro to do the copy/paste special, then assign keyboard shortcut to the macro... Is the cell you are copying always the same Cell? or Range of Cells?

stevelucky

Board Regular

ADVERTISEMENT

i'm always copying the same cell, but i'm pasting it to different spots. is there a better way?

tvkrys

Board Regular
The existing shortcut isn't so short: {Alt+e}sv{Enter}. If you want something shorter than that, create a macro with the following:

SendKeys "%esv~"

and then assign your own keystroke combination... make sure you don't overwrite an existing shortcut that you use. If you need more step-by step-instructions, let us know. (AND, YES I KNOW MANY OF YOU DON'T LIKE TO USE SendKeys CODE, BUT THIS WORKS!!!!)

HTH, Krys

Scott Huish

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Instead of Sendkeys, perhaps:

Sub PS()
Selection.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
End Sub

and assign a shortcut key to it, say CTRL-SHIFT-V

tvkrys

Board Regular
That works too! (We need a Smiley that sticks its tongue out!) HA! K-

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VICKRAM

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...