copying a formula from a cell, but i just want the number

stevelucky

Board Regular
i have a cell that contains the formula: =I4*0.02

i want to be able to copy the generated number from that cell and paste it into another cell. but when i copy it, it obviously just copies the formula and pastes that. any ideas?

i.e. - the formula in that cell generates the number, "10". i want to be able to copy that cell and paste "10" into another cell, instead of copying the formula, =I4*0.02.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
is there an easier way to do it? not that this is hard, but i want it to require no special training. i want it to be just like regular cutting and pasting for the user.

Upvote 0
simply customize your toolbar to include the paste values icon ... then no drilling through submenus ... just click the icon as you would the paste icon

customize.jpg

Upvote 0
I suppose that would work, though I'm a keyboard shortcut guy. Plus with the "paste special" command, you have to click on values in the box that pops up which addsa nother step to the process. it wouldn't be a big deal if i weren't pasting quite often.

Upvote 0
well, for keyboard shortcut, you could record a macro to do the copy/paste special, then assign keyboard shortcut to the macro... Is the cell you are copying always the same Cell? or Range of Cells?

Upvote 0
The existing shortcut isn't so short: {Alt+e}sv{Enter}. If you want something shorter than that, create a macro with the following:

SendKeys "%esv~"

and then assign your own keystroke combination... make sure you don't overwrite an existing shortcut that you use. If you need more step-by step-instructions, let us know. (AND, YES I KNOW MANY OF YOU DON'T LIKE TO USE SendKeys CODE, BUT THIS WORKS!!!!)

HTH, Krys

Upvote 0
Instead of Sendkeys, perhaps:

Sub PS()
Selection.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
End Sub

and assign a shortcut key to it, say CTRL-SHIFT-V

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flashbond

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back