Copying and Pasting CommentThreaded

mayoung

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I have the following code that will copy and paste Notes but also want to copy and paste CommentThreaded. How can I modify this code to do both?
I have tried a few things and can not make it work. Thank You in advance.

VBA Code:
Public Sub Macro3()

Windows("Book1.xlsm").Activate

Sheets("Sheet1").Activate

Range("C1").Activate
    Do Until ActiveCell.Value = ""
        ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Activate

If Len(ActiveCell.NoteText) > 0 Then
            ActiveCell.Copy
            HasNote = True
        End If

ToFind = ActiveCell.Value

Windows("Book2.xlsm").Activate
    Sheets("Sheet1").Activate
    Columns("C:C").Select
    On Error Resume Next
    Selection.Find(What:=ToFind, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas2, _
        LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
        MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate
        If Err.Number = 0 Then
            On Error GoTo -1
                If HasNote Then
                ActiveCell.PasteSpecial
                End If

Else
            NotFound = True
            On Error GoTo -1
        End If
         Application.CutCopyMode = False

Loop

End Sub

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
don't you have the answer to that here?

Upvote 0
don't you have the answer to that here?
That’s for filtering. I want to copy and paste keep getting Errors with what I try. I can copy and paste the notes ok but Commentthreaded gives Errors. I actually need to copy and paste both Notes and Commentthreaded both in same column just different Rows have either or.

Upvote 0
First, NoteText is a method of a range object, not the ActiveCell. So either of these could work
If Not Range("K2").NoteText = "" Then << evaluates to true if cell contains a note with characters
or
If Len(Range("K2").NoteText) = 0 Then
Obviously you will need to replace K2 with either a cell address or set a range object to an address, row/column reference, offset, etc. for each iteration of your loop.
IMO, you really should use Option Explicit as you have undeclared variables. I also don't see the need for HasNote as well as NotFound. If it wasn't found, isn't HasNote just false?

Upvote 0
First, NoteText is a method of a range object, not the ActiveCell. So either of these could work
If Not Range("K2").NoteText = "" Then << evaluates to true if cell contains a note with characters
or
If Len(Range("K2").NoteText) = 0 Then
Obviously you will need to replace K2 with either a cell address or set a range object to an address, row/column reference, offset, etc. for each iteration of your loop.
IMO, you really should use Option Explicit as you have undeclared variables. I also don't see the need for HasNote as well as NotFound. If it wasn't found, isn't HasNote just false?
I will be honest I am self taught in VBA and only dabble in this. So not sure how to take what you wrote and incorporate it into the code I have to make it work for coping and pasting over both.

Upvote 0
No one taught me either. I learn by helping. I 'google' to find what I want and try to adapt and apply. If it doesn't work, I research some more and try again. Then when I solve the issue (and I usually do but might not be the first) I'll probably forget most of what I learned. The grey matter is not what it used to be. :(
So methinks you could trap an error regarding anything to do with the note, but AFAIK, this is about the new "comment" formerly known as "note" but not about "threadedcomment". So I'd try detecting if there is a comment since a comment can be empty. You can prove that by creating one in a cell then deleting all of its text but not the the note/comment. It remains.
If I declare a range variable: Dim rng As Range
and change your code to
VBA Code:
     Set rng = ActiveCell
     If Not rng.Comment Is Nothing Then
          ActiveCell.Copy
          HasNote = True
     End If
I can get past that error. However, if there is no note your loop continues to execute and will try to do things that it probably should not. Modify as shown then step through the code and see if a) you get past the error and b) it does things that it should not when there is no note. In that case, you put all that you want to do when there is a note inside the IF block that tests for a note.

Upvote 0
No one taught me either. I learn by helping. I 'google' to find what I want and try to adapt and apply. If it doesn't work, I research some more and try again. Then when I solve the issue (and I usually do but might not be the first) I'll probably forget most of what I learned. The grey matter is not what it used to be. :(
So methinks you could trap an error regarding anything to do with the note, but AFAIK, this is about the new "comment" formerly known as "note" but not about "threadedcomment". So I'd try detecting if there is a comment since a comment can be empty. You can prove that by creating one in a cell then deleting all of its text but not the the note/comment. It remains.
If I declare a range variable: Dim rng As Range
and change your code to
VBA Code:
     Set rng = ActiveCell
     If Not rng.Comment Is Nothing Then
          ActiveCell.Copy
          HasNote = True
     End If
I can get past that error. However, if there is no note your loop continues to execute and will try to do things that it probably should not. Modify as shown then step through the code and see if a) you get past the error and b) it does things that it should not when there is no note. In that case, you put all that you want to do when there is a note inside the IF block that tests for a note.
Thank You for the guidance in the right direction. The code you provided above only did the Notes but not the CommentThreaded.
So I was able to add to your code to make it work.

VBA Code:
     Windows(LatestFile).Activate
     Set Rng = ActiveCell
     If Not Rng.Comment Is Nothing Then
          ActiveCell.Copy
          HasNote = True

Else

Set Rng = ActiveCell
     If Not Rng.CommentThreaded Is Nothing Then
          ActiveCell.Copy
          HasNote = True

End If
     End If

Upvote 0
Solution
Ahh, yes; that is what I meant by didn't you have the answer (how to deal with commentsThreaded) in the other thread.
But then I thought your stumbling block was this:
I want to copy and paste keep getting Errors with what I try.

Upvote 0
Ahh, yes; that is what I meant by didn't you have the answer (how to deal with commentsThreaded) in the other thread.
But then I thought your stumbling block was this:
I was getting errors so with your guidance have worked around the errors.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back