Copying Conditional formatting in excel 2007

mshaw

I am having difficulty in copying a conditional formatting formula in excel 2007.
Basically, I want the cell that I conditionally format (A1) to have a colored fill if a reference cell (A4) has any number in it.
I can get that to work in one cell, but when I copy it to another cell (B1), it references the same cell as the originally formatted cell (A4), not the new cell I want to refer to (B4).

A1 A2 A3 A4

B1 B2 B3 B4

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Check the conditional formatting for absolute ($) references. $A$4 will always refer to cell A4 when you copy it across. Your current conditional format is probably something like: =ISNUMBER($A$4) if it was =ISNUMBER(A$4) , the letter value will change when you drag the cell across.

Upvote 0
That is correct, they are absolute numbers. I'm having trouble getting rid of the absolutes. I know to eliminate the $ sign, but when I do that in the conditional formatting box, I can't figure what to put in the formula box. Without the $, it seems to want both a true and a false action, and I can't get that right.
I think we're on the right track. Thanks for your quick reply.

Upvote 0
Highlight A1...A4 starting with A1 to make it the active cell. Open the conditional format dialog box and change the type from 'Cell Value Is' to 'Formula Is' enter
=ISNUMBER(A$4)
as the formula and click OK. This should do what you want. I do not understand your comment: "it seems to want both a true and a false action"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back