Copying Data and Graphs - Graph data is staying linked to the copy source rather than the paste data

Mark McInerney

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I have a series of data that is linked dynamically to a cell in a drop down - Cell A1 is the drop down cell. The resultant data is then used to create a series of Excel Graphs. Both the data and graphs run from Row 1 thru 40.

I copy this data, from column 1 thru 40, to row 41 thru 80. My drop down list is now copied into cell A41. As I select a different value in this cell, all the data in rows 41 thru 80 updates, but the graphs that are contained in the same rows, and still linked to the data in rows 1 thru 40?

When I select data in the graph, I have tried removing the $ signs, as I thought this was what was linking the graghs in row 41 thru 80? When i do this nothing happens?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Best - Mark.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
The chart does not know it needs to refer to the copied range. You need to update it manually. Look at the coloured rectangles when you select the chart. Move them to the new (copied) range.

Upvote 0
Hi - Thanks for taking time to review this - appreciated.

Sometimes when I click the graph, the data that creates the graph is highlighted, and other times not - how do I change this to allow me to do exactly what you suggest above?

Upvote 0
As far I know it always does highlight the dataseries source. It may depend on where you click on the chart or perhaps on the the chart type used?

Upvote 0
If you select the chart, it will highlight the source data range, if that range is "simple". Otherwise, it won't highlight anything.

If you select the chart series, it will highlight the source data range, if it's in the same worksheet, whether the range is "simple" or not.

I describe this here: Excel Charting Dos and Don’ts. Scroll down a couple screens to "Highlighting a Chart’s Data".

Also more verbosely in Chart Source Data Highlighting and Highlighted Chart Source Data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB_Unlv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back