Copying data from adjacent cell based on combobox value

kjgallier

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet called Eque2_Contracts that contains various columns of data. The first column A contains multiple codes, for example 00120, 00130 etc from A2 downwards. This can be added to with new records at any time.

I also have a combobox1 that lists all individual codes from this first column. I also then have a listbox1.

When combobox1 value is selected, I want the script to check A2, A3, A4 etc in my spreadsheet against that combobox1 value. If it finds the combobox1 value in cell A2, A3, A4 I want it to list cell B2 data into listbox1. (The adjacent info)

BUT I need it to search ALL of column A, as the codes can appear more than once. Each time it finds the combobox1 value in column A, I need the data in the adjacent B cell added to the listbox.

Each time a new combobox1.value is selected, it needs to clear the listbox1, search again as above for the occurrences of that code and copy the adjacent data in column B into the listbox.

I got this far (thinking I should create a library containing both columns of data for faster searching) now unsure how to check that data?

Dim Cl As Range
Dim Dic As Object

Set Dic = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
With Sheets("Eque2_Contracts")
For Each Cl In .Range("A2", .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
Dic(Cl.Value) = Array(Cl, Cl.Offset(, 1).Value)
Next Cl
End With

Any help would be much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
VBA Code:
Private Sub ComboBox1_Click()
   Dim Ary As Variant

With .Range("A2:B" & .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
         Ary = Filter(.Worksheet.Evaluate("transpose(if(" & .Columns(1).Address & "=""" & Me.ComboBox1.Value & """," & .Columns(2).Address & ",char(2)))"), Chr(2), False)
      End With
   End With
   Me.ListBox1.List = Ary

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
VBA Code:
Private Sub ComboBox1_Click()
   Dim Ary As Variant

With .Range("A2:B" & .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
         Ary = Filter(.Worksheet.Evaluate("transpose(if(" & .Columns(1).Address & "=""" & Me.ComboBox1.Value & """," & .Columns(2).Address & ",char(2)))"), Chr(2), False)
      End With
   End With
   Me.ListBox1.List = Ary

End Sub
Thank you for the swift reply. I will test this later. Incidentally what is the char in your code? Obviously character but related to?
Do I need to add a clear listbox statement at the beginning for each time a new combobox value is selected. Your assistance is much appreciated. If you could talk me through what the code is doing?

Upvote 0
what is the char in your code?
It's just a character that will not appear in your data.
Do I need to add a clear listbox
Nope, that will happen automatically. :)

The code is basically a normal xl If function
Excel Formula:
=IF(A2:A10="00120",B2:B10,Char(2))
and then the VBA Filter function is used to remove all entries that are Char(2) so you just get the values of interest remaining.

Upvote 0

Excel Formula:
and then the VBA Filter function is used to remove all entries that are Char(2) so you just get the values of interest remaining.
This worked perfectly. I have analysed the code to understand it, but thank you. I used to code in Delphi many years ago. This is a little project of mine that no doubt I will need further help with! But I will try to go alone ha ha.

Upvote 0
This worked perfectly. I have analysed the code to understand it, but thank you. I used to code in Delphi many years ago. This is a little project of mine that no doubt I will need further help with! But I will try to go alone ha ha.

Excel Formula:
Can I ask a further question?
Your code pulls in the data from the adjacent cell. Populates listbox. GREAT!

I now want to pull in data from other columns that are along the same row in the spreadsheet as the selected info/line in my listbox. I am going to use that data to populate a few different text boxes on the same form.

So for example, if I select a row in the listbox, it will find the data from column G for example (same row as listbox) and pop value in a text box. Column H same row will appear in another text box on the same form.

ANY help would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
As this is a totally different question, it needs a new thread. Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back