Copying data from one column and pasting it only to the blank cells in another column

mcgrawj

Hello,

I am currently working with a spreadsheet in which I am trying to consolidate two different sets of data. Specifically, I have two columns of addresses that are sometimes the same and sometimes different (all of the rows correspond). I want to copy the addresses from the first column and paste them to the second column BUT I only want that information to go in the cells that are blank. In other words, I do not want to lose the existing data in the second column. Because I have over 1000 addresses to work with, I cannot afford the time to do this manually. Can someone help me figure out a way to do this? In your explanation, please try to use the most basic excel language possible because I am new to the program. Also, if you use a formula, can you explain each part of it? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Select your second column of data (with the blanks in it) and press f5 then click the Special button, choose Blanks from the options and press OK. This will select just the blank cells. Now type an = sign then press the left arrow and then press Ctrl+Enter. This will fill all blank cells with the contents of the cells to the left of them.

If you need the values to remain static after that, copy the whole of the second column and paste special - values.

Upvote 1
Hi,

Thanks for the information. Do I need to do something different if the columns are not next to one another? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Nevermind. I see that you just bring the arrow to whatever column you need (no matter if it's not directly next to the other column) and it works perfectly. Thank you SO much! That was tremendously helpful.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back