Copying Excel Files

SweetHome

Let me set up the situation:
I am a teacher, I have a student that I suspect has turned in files from another student. I have checked the properties and file creation dates and they appear different. However, upon opening the files, the selected cell is the same (and often off in a random spot). I am 100% sure they are cheating. Is there another way I can detect that they are copied files? For reference, I gave them a file to begin with, and they are supposed to edit it.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
The home work thing is frequently a difficult "proof" situation. As a teacher myself I had to make some tough choices on this one. I decided people helping each other is commonplace. And it's not always bad.

But if you want to be sure the student learned the lesson, simply open the sheet and ask him to explain the process he went through so you can understand it. As long as he can prove he learned the content and can replicate it as needed, the homework part is less problematic if they "study grouped" it.
========

Alternately, give each student what "appears" to be the same workbook, but hidden in a cell somewhere is some personalized piece of information. If they copy the workbook or worksheet as a whole the key data would get changed and you would know who it came from.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back