Copying Font from cell issues

kat44

Hi, first post here! :)

What I am trying to do is this:

I have a sheet where I have initials of people in one column. These can change to whatever I put in the cell.

What I want to do is if the initials are 'KO', 'BD' or 'WB' I want them to appear in red font (not cell colour). I want to do the same for 8 more initials of different colours (3 sets in Yellow, 3 sets in Green and 2 sets in Blue).

There are too many options here I think for conditional formatting (using Excel 2003). I have tried putting in some formula to copy the contents of another cell depending on the initials entered but again I can't do it.

Are there just too many options to be able to automatically change the colour of the text depending on the cell contents themselves please?

thank you

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

If you are using Excel 2003 and want to more than 4 different formats, you would need to use vba. There is quite a good explanation and example here

Post back with more details if you need further help with this.

Upvote 0
Thank you.

That does help but what I really want to do is change the font colour, not the background colour.

So, if the code is true, I want the text (initials) to change to red/green etc and the cell background to stay clear.

Is that possible at all?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
You can edit the code that was linked to to change the text colour and not the Cell.Interior.ColorIndex

e.g. Cell.Font.Color = -16776961 is what i just recorded when changing the cell text colour to red.

For ease, record changing the text colours to get the colour codes you need to put in the code (i.e. -16776961 = red on my palette)

Upvote 0
Thank you.

Wasn't sure if it was the word 'font' you could change easy enough but it works!!

Thanks again :biggrin:

Upvote 0
You can edit the code that was linked to to change the text colour and not the Cell.Interior.ColorIndex

e.g. Cell.Font.Color = -16776961 is what i just recorded when changing the cell text colour to red.

For ease, record changing the text colours to get the colour codes you need to put in the code (i.e. -16776961 = red on my palette)

Sorry, last question.

How do I get the codes needed for the shades of colour I need?

(In particular - Red, Yellow, Gold, Sea Green and Light Blue)

thanks for helping :D

Upvote 0
How do I get the codes needed for the shades of colour I need?

(In particular - Red, Yellow, Gold, Sea Green and Light Blue)
Use the macro recorder...

Upvote 0
In general, if you're not sure how to do something, use the record macro function.

Although i can do quite a bit in VBA, i have real problems always remembering the exact syntax, its just the way my brain (doesn't) work.

So i often find myself recording the basic functionality and then editing the resulting VBA into my main code.

Upvote 0
I wasn't used to macros but I have now had a go and it all works perfectly!!

Thank you everyone for your help :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back