Copying formulas

BarbM

I have a column of figures and I want to multiply each row by a percentage. I put the percentage in cell #1 and my figures follow in the cells below. That percentage in cell #1 will change which is why I have it in a separate cell. I set the formula in cell #2 to multiply by cell #1 and it works fine. I then copy cell #2 and paste it to all of the cells below. This is where it goes wrong...

The problem is that cell #3 is now multiplying by cell #2, then cell #4 is multiplying by cell #3....it descends the formula and I don't want that to happen. I want cells 3 through 20 to multiply by cell #1 (without having to change the formula manually in each cell) so that when I change the percentage figure in cell #1 each row will adjust accordingly. This doesn't seem like much since I only have 17 cells, but that's just for the purpose of explaining the problem. I actually have hundreds to do so I thought by putting the percentage in a separate cell it would save me time. I don't want to have to adjust each cell formula when the percentage changes.

I'm sure it's something very simple, but I don't know how to make that happen.

Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Welcome to the board.

Use absolute references to cell #1

=A2*A$1

As dragged down that will change to
=A3*A$1
=A4*A$1
=A5*A$1
etc.

Upvote 0
Use $ to block the cell row and/or column when dragging up/down or left/right:

A1 will change when dragging in either direction
A$1 will always refer to row 1 when dragging up/down; column will change when dragging left/right
$A1 will Always refer to column A when dragging left/right; row will change when dragging up/down.
$A$1 will Always refer to $A$1, no matter in which direction the formula will be dragged

When editing a formula, you can toggle over the 4 possibilities by using F4 when your cursor is on a cell reference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you to everyone who replied. My experience with excel is limited but boy the time I could have saved over the years if I had known about absolute references! This worked perfectly!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back