Copying Microsoft File Properties into Excel

Dan Wilson

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good day. This may take a while to explain. I am using Office 365 on Windows 10 Home. Over the last several years I have created a folder called Music. This folder contains over 5,000 edited songs that I used on my radio program. I now have the opportunity to make my own music show to be played on the internet. In order to make that job easier, it is necessary that I create an Excel database housing some of the Properties of the Music folder Files. I tried displaying the desired properties on my computer screen, copying them to Excel, but nothing happens. I then tried creating a "Copy to Path" of the desired files, but all I ended up with was the file Title. Is there a way to access desired properties of a file and copy them into Excel? Specifically, I want to access the Properties "Name", "Contributing Artists", "Length", "#", "Genre", "Year", "Comments", and "Title". I appreciate any help with this and hope there is a way to do this.
Thank you, Dan Wilson...

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hi, First, suck your music into iTunes. I have a sample iTunes extraction to Excel at ComputerHotShot.com , I believe it will do exactly what you want. Download the file, read the README.txt file and enjoy.

Upvote 0
I see someone, I assume you, downloaded the file a few minutes after I posted this.

You might get an error:

Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more document because there is not enough available memory or disk space.

The PLEASE README.txt tells you how to get around this problem which has nothing to so with available memory and even less to do with disk space.
I will post the work around here should others have similar issues.

The error suggests that:

Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more document because there is not enough available memory or disk space.

Clearly, you have enough memory on your system and plenty of disk space.

The real problem is that Excel blocks this file from opening. Duh! Not a nice error message.

To fix this:
1. Right Click the file downloaded.
2. Way down near or at the bottom, select “Properties”
3. Again, way down at the bottom of the “Properties” is:
Security: This file came from another computer and might be
blocked to help protect this computer.
4. Check the "Unblock" box
5. Select OK
6. The file will now open in Excel.

Upvote 0
Good day RayFrye and thank you for responding. I have had some experience with iTunes in the past. I was not pleased with the results as it appeared that iTunes created copies of my music in their own format. That means my 5,000 songs will be copied, not only taking up disk space, but also confusing my DJ Software. It also means that every time that I add more songs to my Music folder, I will have to include them in the iTunes folder to get them added to the Excel Database. I will give it a try, but I'm hoping for an answer that will allow me to use Excel to extract the file properties directly. Thanks again for your help and your follow-up.
Dan Wilson...

Upvote 0
Check out this thread:

One of our members wrote a macro to extract that information.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you Eric W for the response. I think that is just what I was looking for. Now to play with it and learn how to use it...
Dan Wilson...

Upvote 0
Eric W. - THANK YOU! That is exactly what I was looking for. I already figured out how to pick and place the file properties that I want and adjust the row sizes to automatic size. Excel is the BEST!
Dan Wilson...

Upvote 0
Glad to help! (Although I was just a reference this time.) ?

And I agree, Excel has some amazing abilities! Every time I turn around, I learn something new it can do.

Upvote 0
Cool, thanks Eric W; I will capture this VBA for my library also.

Upvote 0
OK, Eric W. Everything you targeted worked well There does appear to be one problem. The list of Shell File Properties is fine from item 0 through 41. Your entry number 43 is actually number 42 and every item after that is off by one. IE: 43 is actually 42, 44 is actually 43, etc all the way to 320. Anything after 320 does not access anything. The rest all work well. My problem is solved.
Thank you,
Dan Wilson...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back