Copying Microsoft File Properties into Excel

Dan Wilson

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good day. This may take a while to explain. I am using Office 365 on Windows 10 Home. Over the last several years I have created a folder called Music. This folder contains over 5,000 edited songs that I used on my radio program. I now have the opportunity to make my own music show to be played on the internet. In order to make that job easier, it is necessary that I create an Excel database housing some of the Properties of the Music folder Files. I tried displaying the desired properties on my computer screen, copying them to Excel, but nothing happens. I then tried creating a "Copy to Path" of the desired files, but all I ended up with was the file Title. Is there a way to access desired properties of a file and copy them into Excel? Specifically, I want to access the Properties "Name", "Contributing Artists", "Length", "#", "Genre", "Year", "Comments", and "Title". I appreciate any help with this and hope there is a way to do this.
Thank you, Dan Wilson...

Check out this thread:

One of our members wrote a macro to extract that information.
Good day Eric W. Back in August, 2020 you responded to my request for help with extracting metadata from MP3 files into Excel. I have been using the vba code and up until now it appeared to have worked. When I tried to copy data from the DB worksheet to a new worksheet pertaining to particular years of release, I noticed some issues. The original folder containing the MP3 files holds 4,512 files. After running the Macro, the end result of the worksheet DB contains only 4,392 files. Somewhere, 120 files were dropped or rejected. At first I thought maybe it was because I was doing other things on the computer while the Macro was running and interfered with the process. After letting the Macro run with nothing else running other than the basic computer services, the same results occurred. It takes 10 minutes to run the Macro. I then changed the "varColumns = Array" from searching for property 21 (Title) to property 0 (Name). The Music folder contains several songs that have the identical song title although different artists. I solved this issue by adding (1), (2), (3) as needed at the end of the Name property while keeping the Title property as the title only. That made no difference. Without digging into this problem, is there a problem with Excel trying to search this many files or is this an issue with the vba code? Thank you for any help.
Dan Wilson...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back