Copying rows based on a matching date

mps80y

Hi All,

I've found so many variations on how to do this, but none seem to fit exactly what I'm after so I'm getting lost in that spiral - so I would appreciate any advice/help.

I have a spreadsheet that has several sheets.

Sheet 'Calc_Sheet' contains a value in cell E1 which lists the last date of the previous month in the format dd/mm/yyyy and is formatted as a Date field - *dd/mm/yyyy.

I have another sheet 'Previous Month' that has all the data of bookings made. Column C in that sheet also has a date in the format dd/mm/yyyy and is also formatted as a Date field - *dd/mm/yyyy

I need to copy all the rows from the 'Previous Month' sheet, that match the date in cell E1 in sheet 'Calc_Sheet' and copy them to the end of a third sheet 'Current Month' and then sort that sheet based on column A.

Is this something easily done?

TIA guys :D

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Try this macro. Change the column letter (in red) to the last used column in the "Previous Month" sheet.
Code:
Sub copyData()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim LastRow As Long, sDate As String, desWS As Worksheet
    Set desWS = Sheets("Current Month")
    sDate = Sheets("Calc_Sheet").Range("E1")
    With Sheets("Previous Month")
        LastRow = .Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
        .Range("C1:C" & LastRow).AutoFilter Field:=1, Operator:=xlFilterValues, Criteria2:=Array(1, CDate(sDate))
        .Range("C2:C" & LastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Copy desWS.Cells(desWS.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
        .Range("C1").AutoFilter
    End With
    desWS.Sort.SortFields.Clear
    desWS.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("A2:A" & LastRow), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
    With desWS.Sort
        .SetRange Range("A1:[COLOR="#FF0000"]G[/COLOR]" & LastRow)
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi mumps,

Sorry for the delay, I get a run time error '1004': Autofilter method of Range class failed. And when I hit debug it returns to the following line:

.Range("C1:C" & LastRow).AutoFilter Field:=1, Operator:=xlFilterValues, Criteria2:=Array(1, CDate(sDate))

I've attached a sample of the spreadsheet I'm using - can you please have a look and let me know what you recommend?

Link to sample file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=04622185165133911592

TIA

Upvote 0
Try:
Code:
Sub copyData()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim LastRow As Long, LastRow2 As Long, sDate As String, desWS As Worksheet
    Set desWS = Sheets("Current Month")
    sDate = Sheets("Calc_Sheet").Range("E1")
    With Sheets("Previous Month")
        LastRow = .Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
        .Range("A1:W" & LastRow).AutoFilter Field:=3, Operator:=xlFilterValues, Criteria2:=Array(2, CDate(sDate))
        .Range("C2:C" & LastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Copy desWS.Cells(desWS.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
        .Range("C1").AutoFilter
    End With
    LastRow2 = desWS.Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    desWS.Sort.SortFields.Clear
    desWS.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("A2:A" & LastRow2), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
    With desWS.Sort
        .SetRange Range("A1:W" & LastRow2)
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Still getting the same error - this time on line;

.Range("A1:W" & LastRow).AutoFilter Field:=3, Operator:=xlFilterValues, Criteria2:=Array(2, CDate(sDate))

It's adding the filters to row 1 and then stops at that point.

Upvote 0
It works without errors for me. Click here to download your file.

Upvote 0
It works without errors for me. Click here to download your file.

I downloaded that file and tried to run it but I still keep getting the same error. When I hit Debug it takes me to the same line;

Am I doing something wrong?

Upvote 0
I worked out what the issue is. Its to do with the date format - I'm in Australia and we use the format dd/mm/yyyy, when I changed my computers format settings to mm/dd/yyyy it worked perfectly. Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Upvote 0
Working with dates and regional settings is very tricky. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience in that area. :( Could I suggest that you start a new thread posting a link to your file and explaining the problem. If you find a solution, I would appreciate it if you could send me a private message with a link to that solution. It would be valuable information that I might be able to use in the future.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back