Correct text list fix or lookup against correct list

blueroost

Hi
I have an exported list of names and dates in organisation. The names are different format, they can be full name or initial and surname or first middle and last name etc which means I have duplicates when using a pivot table.
Example for all same person
Bob Smith
B. Smith
Bobby Smith

My current fix is to sort alphabetically and drag down against each person with the first available name, then again with next person, so on and on, which takes time with several staff.

Is there a faster way to do this, i.e, either to correct or to lookup against Bob Smith on a master and match and replace as an example?

I have also looked at extracting surname and then doing a lookup with limited results.

Any assistance on fastest way to "cleanse the list" would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Example for all same person
Bob Smith
B. Smith
Bobby Smith

How do you determine that they are the same person? Is there any info in another column to conclude that?

Upvote 0
Hi, there is no others data to identify the person, they are a payroll list with no duplicate names hence knowing who they are. I thought of creating a master sheet of actual names to somehow try do a match but this did not work well.
Latest solution is extract initial and surname, again only as good as the software picks up handwriting to export to report

Solution

Upvote 0
Sorry, if you can't come up with criteria on how to identify which names belong to one person then I can't help you. :cry:
Hope someone else has better idea.

But I'm curious how this work:
My current fix is to sort alphabetically and drag down against each person with the first available name, then again with next person, so on and on, which takes time with several staff.
I'm assuming that in one column there are names of many different person, and each person might have multiple names with different format.
Are you saying if you sort the data then the names of a person will be next to each other?
Can you post an example with says 5 different person? so I can't understand it better.

Upvote 0
Your best bet is going to be either:
It you will still need to manually go through and check whether you think its matches are reasonable.
I have a slight preference for the Add-In since it outputs the match probability, so you can set a much lower threshold then manually decide which match is appropriate.
You can generally accept anything over around 80%

Upvote 0
Glad it looked promising, hope it helps.
If you can get your sources to include email address that is often helpful in matching since people tend to have preferred names and email addresses often help resolve these.
If you can get it from both systems it is also more likely to give you an exact match.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back