corrupt database - any way to extract data?

coline

Hi, I have a corrupt database, and I'm trying to salvage my data. Any ideas? I have tried exporting the data to another database. I have also tried using JetComp as another way to compact/repair the database. Here is the error message I keep getting - even after attempting to compact and repair:

"Microsoft Office Access has detected corruption in this file. To try to repair the corruption, first make a backup copy of the file. Then on the tools menu, point to Database Utilities and Compact and Repair the Database. If you are currently trying to repair this corruption, then you will need to recreate this file or restore it from a previous Backup."

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Sounds like you may have already tried some of these, but check out this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/209137/

You said that you tried exporting the data. Have you tried creating a new, blank database and importing the tables to the new database?

The above link also has some tips for working out the source of the corruption -- table, report or form -- and dealing with them. If you have a recent backup, at least you have the database logic in place. If you can get the data out, you should be able to reassemble a working version.

Good luck!

Denis

Upvote 0
thank you!

Hi, thanks so much. I was able to use the first support website. I followed the steps and was able to export my data into text delimited data; I used Excel to do this. It was relatively painless to import these back into the shell of an older version of my DB. Thanks for the direction to this site! I'll be compact/repairing and backing things up much more often after this experience.

As a side note, I also found a consultant who was able to recover my data too. I'm not affiliated with them at all, but it seems like a good service. They would have charged me $99 for this service. His website:

www.e-tech.ca

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back