Corrupt Excel files

starfishandcoffee

Hi Everyone

I have 6 corrupt excel files, started with one not closing properly and then subsequent files I tried to open.

This is what I have tried so far without success:-
1.Follow microsoft recovery suggestions
2.Attempted to open in workpad, star office etc
3.Tried demo versions of software (ExcelRecoveryToolbox) but just it froze without reading
4.Attempted to link the data in a new spreadsheet e.g ( =[xxx]sheet1!a1 )
5.Paid 25 pounds for Windows Repair Kit which scanned, identifed problems,claimed a fix, but with no change.
6.Emailed to a consultant. The original files just sit there without uploading (the file size should be manageable), zipped versions are empty

This is what I have done so far with some success
1. Tried to remain calm patient and hopeful that there is a solution from a kind person out there!

I had a similar problem recently. As I recall I was able to open worksheet by worksheet in a .wks file and copy it except for the individual page that was corrupted. But i cannot remember exactly and i'm having problems opening in different formats a mentioned

Any further suggestions or offers of help? Thanks so much

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
365, 2019, 2016, 2010
Platform
Windows, MacOS
Are all the files in the same directory?
Have you tried emptying your temp folder?
What format are the files - xls, xlsx, other?

starfishandcoffee

thanks for responding

yes, I did initially though I have cleared it since then, i cant remember the exact outcome but i didnt get anywhere with them

they are .xlsx files

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
365, 2019, 2016, 2010
Platform
Windows, MacOS
If you rename one as .zip rather than as .xlsx, can you open it and view the contents?

starfishandcoffee

and they're in the same folder on an external drive. Spreadsheets on my computer are working fine. I cant transfer the files because it comes up with a cyclic redundancy check error when attempting.
The external drive itself appears to be ok although a couple of times when trying to fix it has shut down with an I/O error, though this resolves by disconnecting and rebooting

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
365, 2019, 2016, 2010
Platform
Windows, MacOS
I cant transfer the files because it comes up with a cyclic redundancy check error when attempting.
The external drive itself appears to be ok although a couple of times when trying to fix it has shut down with an I/O error, though this resolves by disconnecting and rebooting
that doesn't sound that OK to me! Methinks you may have a drive failure looming or in progress. I take it you don't have any other copies of these files?

starfishandcoffee

It is not saved in a methodical way but I have most of it knocking it around.
Out of a years work I would lose a few days worth of raw data, and a few days work of processing it.

(PS - The zipped version is the same size as the original)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ratish52

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• VBA (Userform)
    Hi All, I just would like to know why my code isn't working. Here is my VBA code: [CODE=vba]Private Sub OKButton_Click() Dim i As Integer...
  • List box that changes fill color
    Hello, I have gone through so many pages trying to figure this out. I have a 2020 calendar that depending on the day needs to have a certain...
  • Remove duplicates and retain one. Cross-linked cases
    Hi all I ran out of google keywords to use and still couldn't find a reference how to achieve the results of a single count. It would be great if...
  • VBA Copy and Paste With Duplicates
    Hello All, I'm in need of some input. My VBA skills are sub-par at best. I've assembled this code from basic research and it works but is...
  • Macro
    is it possible for a macro to run if the active cell value is different to the value above it
  • IF DATE and TIME
    I currently use this to check if date has passed but i also need to set a time on it too. Is it possible? [CODE=vba]=IF(B:B>TODAY(),"Not...