Corrupt Excel files

starfishandcoffee

Hi Everyone

I have 6 corrupt excel files, started with one not closing properly and then subsequent files I tried to open.

This is what I have tried so far without success:-
1.Follow microsoft recovery suggestions
2.Attempted to open in workpad, star office etc
3.Tried demo versions of software (ExcelRecoveryToolbox) but just it froze without reading
4.Attempted to link the data in a new spreadsheet e.g ( =[xxx]sheet1!a1 )
5.Paid 25 pounds for Windows Repair Kit which scanned, identifed problems,claimed a fix, but with no change.
6.Emailed to a consultant. The original files just sit there without uploading (the file size should be manageable), zipped versions are empty

This is what I have done so far with some success
1. Tried to remain calm patient and hopeful that there is a solution from a kind person out there!

I had a similar problem recently. As I recall I was able to open worksheet by worksheet in a .wks file and copy it except for the individual page that was corrupted. But i cannot remember exactly and i'm having problems opening in different formats a mentioned

Any further suggestions or offers of help? Thanks so much

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Are all the files in the same directory?
Have you tried emptying your temp folder?
What format are the files - xls, xlsx, other?

Upvote 0
thanks for responding

yes, I did initially though I have cleared it since then, i cant remember the exact outcome but i didnt get anywhere with them

they are .xlsx files

Upvote 0
If you rename one as .zip rather than as .xlsx, can you open it and view the contents?

Upvote 0
and they're in the same folder on an external drive. Spreadsheets on my computer are working fine. I cant transfer the files because it comes up with a cyclic redundancy check error when attempting.
The external drive itself appears to be ok although a couple of times when trying to fix it has shut down with an I/O error, though this resolves by disconnecting and rebooting

Upvote 0
I cant transfer the files because it comes up with a cyclic redundancy check error when attempting.
The external drive itself appears to be ok although a couple of times when trying to fix it has shut down with an I/O error, though this resolves by disconnecting and rebooting

that doesn't sound that OK to me! Methinks you may have a drive failure looming or in progress. I take it you don't have any other copies of these files?

Upvote 0
It is not saved in a methodical way but I have most of it knocking it around.
Out of a years work I would lose a few days worth of raw data, and a few days work of processing it.

(PS - The zipped version is the same size as the original)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back