Corrupt Spreadsheets in Excel 2010 Since Upgrade

Sambora

Since an upgrade to Excel 2010 from 2003, I seem to be encountering a lot of corrupt spreadsheets. Our IT department can fix them by opening them in Office 2003, saving them as 95 workbooks, then opening the spreadsheets with Excel 2010 and saving as an xlsx document. They won't let us go back to Excel 2003 though so when myself or another user notices this we have to contact them and it can take a day or 2 to get access to the data that we need.

There doesn't appear to be anything in common with the ones that don't work, some have pivots, some have macros, some have none, but once it has been converted there doesn't appear to be any further problems.

I have tried to open and repair in Excel 2010 but this only recovers a small number of the problem workbooks.

Is there a better solution to this problem than what our IT department is currently doing, as this upgrade seems to have caused issues that we could do without.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Show your IT dept this reply. It is ludicrous that a delay of 2 days occurs when employees try to work with IMPORTANT excel business files. IT need to place one of their staff by your desk 24/7 so that whenever there is a problem they can fix it straight away. Remember the work you do pays for the IT dept - TELL THEM THIS !!!!

Upvote 0
The issue is more that there are hundreds of spreadsheets created in Excel 2003 that no longer work since the upgrade unless the IT department run their fix. For staff working out of hours it is going to prove difficult, hence why I have asked if there is something in the set-up of our Excel / settings / options that could be changed and at least let us open the workbooks, so we can save as.

Upvote 0
My son says that Excel 2003 had an add-in to allow files to be saved as .xlsx - so ask your IT dept to enable this, give excel 2003 back to users for one week only to give them time to modify all their excel files - then revert to 2010 version.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back