Corrupted file

forexcel

I have created a complicated spreadsheet using excel 2007. I shared it at onedrive so some friends can download it and use it also. When they open it they are got the message that file is corrupted (they are using excel 2010-2013-2016) and some formulas and conditional format was gone at some sheets. Then I let them edit it at my onedrive and everything was working fine. It was working just fine at their browser but when they downloaded it again same message appeared. Any idea what to do ?

jtakw

Hi,

Don't know if this will help.
After your friends download the file, what's the file extension?
Is it filename.xlsx? If it is, rename it as filename.xls and see if it works for them.

Scott Huish

MrExcel MVP
If you're going to try that, I would recommend saving it in that format rather than just renaming it because .xlsx files are .zip files

forexcel

I cannot save it at .xml format. Some cells have plenty of conditional format rules more than are supported by excel's .xml format. I also don't think this is the issue since they are working it without problems using the excel's version for browser. The weird is when they are downloading to use it with the desktop version they are getting message that file is corrupted and if they repair it formula's and functionality are gone

jtakw

I Still think you should give my suggestion in Post #2 a try.
I'm No asking you to Save your file in a different format.
I'm saying, have your friend/friends download the file, check and see if the file extension is other than xls
If it is, Change it to xls
Try to open the file again.
If it Doesn't work, No Harm Done, as we're Not changing your Original File.

Again, I Don't know if this will help, but I've had this happen to me several times where a file was created by an Older version of Excel, uploaded to the Cloud, then when I downloaded it, it won't open (saying the file extension doesn't match or the file is Corrupted), I changed the extension from xlsx to xls then it worked.

Last edited:

forexcel

I Still think you should give my suggestion in Post #2 a try.
I'm No asking you to Save your file in a different format.
I'm saying, have your friend/friends download the file, check and see if the file extension is other than xls
If it is, Change it to xls
Try to open the file again.
If it Doesn't work, No Harm Done, as we're Not changing your Original File.

Again, I Don't know if this will help, but I've had this happen to me several times where a file was created by an Older version of Excel, uploaded to the Cloud, then when I downloaded it, it won't open (saying the file extension doesn't match or the file is Corrupted), I changed the extension from xlsx to xls then it worked.
It didn't work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelingtolearn

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...