Could use some help building my database

PiPaPils

Hey all,

Thank you for taking the time reading my post!

We have a beer club which has a regular tasting session to assess beers using forms. These forms are filled in manually and are entered into a simple spreadsheet at the moment. However, this spreadsheet is becoming rather cumbersome for data entry, hence I'm trying to get this in an Access database. But unfortunately I'm rather stuck, given I almost never work with Access. I notice that im having 2 problems, so any help is appreciated on both points:
  1. I am lost in the woods a bit in how I could structure the database best
  2. I want to create a form that automatically fills in repetitive data (now I write this down, im not entirely sure if the repetitive data needs to be entered in another table)

Regarding the first point, a general description of the issue:
We have regular tasting sessions. In one tasting session we might sample between 4 and 8 beers. Each session has a X number of participants tasting the same beers and filling out a form.

Thus far I made one table for the tasting sessions, one table for the beers, one table for the participants and one table for the data, at the moment looking like this:

1585406897557.png

So I enter a tasting session (Proeverij) and enter which beers are being tasted:

1585406944647.png

But from this point onward I am really struggling on how to proceed. How do I link the individual tasting forms to the beers? What I mean is, if I have 20 people attending a tasting session, how do I best link the individual forms to the beers and tasting sessions?

Thanks again for having a look :)

Kind regards,

Koen

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
To add and to illustrate what is the end goal, I basically want to create a form where you select a tasting session and a participant, and you get the following view to enter your data:

1585407457802.png

Upvote 0
I created something along the same lines. It involved Dates, Ships,Rank and Crew. Ir resulted in a set or reports that can be seen at Bibby Gazette

The key table for this was something I called Links as it just held links to all the other tables as mentioned above.

From this I was able to recreate the Gazette that was issued by my company.

It sounds like you could use the same structure.?

It is easy enough to copy data from the previous record if for instance you use the same date and sampler. Only the beer and the result would need to be amended. Once you know the date you could only supply the beers sampled on that date and if named sufficently different enough, only a few keystrokes would be needed.

My company was what I considered a small shipping company, but I ended up keying in over 20K of records, so anything to make that asier/speed it up was welcome.?

However the data entry would not look like you have posted.? You are still thinking in Excel not Access. In a DB data gets longer not wider.?
What happens if you start to sample 6, 8 or 10 beers.? Lots of changes required.?

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back