count and sum for criteria in multiple columns

treena

Hello, I am trying to figure out how to create a formula using multiple criteria in different columns. Ideally, I need to use the whole column (i.e. E:E rather than E2:E400) because I don't want to have to update the formula every time I input data.

I will simplify my spreadsheet for example purpose. Basically, column A has a unique identifier that either begins with an "M" or an "R." Column B either contains a person's name or a "-". Column C contains a dollar amount.

1. I need to be able to count all the cells in Column A that begin with an "M" AND have a "-" in Column B.

2. I need to be able to SUM the $ amounts in Column C ONLY for the items that begin with an "M" in Column A and have a "-" in Column B.

Is there any sort of formula that might do this? I have tried SUM arrays but as I said before, I would rather be able to use the whole column.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Hi Welcome to the board .

Sumproduct is what you are looking for

=SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$6="M")*($B$1:$B$6="-")*($C$1:$C$6))

Regards
Patrick

Upvote 0
re:count and sum for multiple criteria in different columns

Thanks for your help, Patrick! Can SUMPRODUCT be used for a whole column of data? I.e. A:A instead of A2:A500. My formulas are actually going to be in a separate worksheet, and I don't want to have to continually update them as I input additional data. I can't get SUMPRODUCT to work using the whole column (of course, right now, I can't get it to return anything but "0" even if I DON'T use the whole column). Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Re: re:count and sum for multiple criteria in different colu

....Can SUMPRODUCT be used for a whole column of data?

No

...but you can use A1:A65535 or A2:A65536 or perhaps investigate dynamic ranges

Upvote 0
re: sumproduct

Thanks, Barry! Here is the formula I am using:

=SUMPRODUCT((Blue!A2:A5000="M*")*(Blue!B2:B5000="-")*(Blue!C2:C5000))

Where "Blue" is the name of the worksheet I am referring to for the data. This is returning a #Value! error though. Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Is it because some of the cells are blank in this set of data?

Upvote 0
If you are on Excel 2003 or beyond, convert the data area into a list by means of Data|List|Create List and invoke the formula with the current ranges for they all adjust to changes to the list automatically.

Upvote 0
Re: re: sumproduct

Thanks, Barry! Here is the formula I am using:

=SUMPRODUCT((Blue!A2:A5000="M*")*(Blue!B2:B5000="-")*(Blue!C2:C5000))

Where "Blue" is the name of the worksheet I am referring to for the data. This is returning a #Value! error though. Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Is it because some of the cells are blank in this set of data?

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(Blue!A2:A5000)="M"),--(Blue!B2:B5000="-"),Blue!C2:C5000)

Upvote 0
re: sumproduct

Thanks for the help! I still can't get this formula to work. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Upvote 0
What result do you get? Aladin's suggestion is exactly what I would have proffered, did you try the exact same syntax?

Check that column B actually contains "-" (rather than a zero formatted as such).

Check that you have real numbers in column C. What does this formula return

=ISNUMBER(blue!C2)?

Upvote 0
Oh! I was still using "M*" instead of just "M." Just putting the first letter like that works?

My column A contains unique identifiers that either begin with an "M" or an "R." So, this same formula

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(Blue!A2:A5000)="M"),--(Blue!B2:B5000="-"),Blue!C2:C5000)

should work if I switch out "M" for "R", correct? I've got the M part working, but now I'm trying to do the same thing for the R and am having problems again. Thank you all SOO much for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back