Count cell only only

MR8

Hi guys,

I did a search and wasn't able to find anything about a formula to count the record only once.

Is there a Count Formula to count the information once.

E.g

Col A
Coke
Coke
Rum
Brandy
Rum
Vodka
Vodka

So at the moment when I do a count formula it returns the value as 7, when I want it to return 5. As I want coke and Vodka to be counted only once.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
wouldnt your answer be 4 for the example your have posted?

<title>Excel Jeanie HTML</title><table style="padding-right: 2pt; padding-left: 2pt; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial,Arial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <colgroup> <col style="font-weight: bold; width: 30px;"> <col style="width: 64px;"> <col style="width: 64px;"></colgroup> <tbody> <tr style="font-weight: bold; font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;"> <td> </td> <td>A</td> <td>B</td></tr> <tr style="height: 17px;"> <td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">1</td> <td>coke</td> <td style="text-align: right;">4</td></tr> <tr style="height: 17px;"> <td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">2</td> <td>coke</td> <td> </td></tr> <tr style="height: 17px;"> <td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">3</td> <td>rum</td> <td> </td></tr> <tr style="height: 17px;"> <td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">4</td> <td>brandy</td> <td> </td></tr> <tr style="height: 17px;"> <td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">5</td> <td>rum</td> <td> </td></tr> <tr style="height: 17px;"> <td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">6</td> <td>vodka</td> <td> </td></tr> <tr style="height: 17px;"> <td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">7</td> <td>vodka</td> <td> </td></tr></tbody></table>
<table style="border-style: groove; border-color: rgb(0, 255, 0); font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Arial; background-color: rgb(255, 252, 249);"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Spreadsheet Formulas</td></tr> <tr> <td> <table style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Arial;" border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr style="font-size: 10pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202);"> <td>Cell</td> <td>Formula</td></tr> <tr> <td>B1</td> <td>{=SUM(1/COUNTIF(A1:A7,A1:A7))}</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr> <td>Formula Array:
Produce enclosing
{ } by entering
formula with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER!
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I did a search and wasn't able to find anything about a formula to count the record only once.

Is there a Count Formula to count the information once.

E.g

Col A
Coke
Coke
Rum
Brandy
Rum
Vodka
Vodka

So at the moment when I do a count formula it returns the value as 7, when I want it to return 5. As I want coke and Vodka to be counted only once.

Thanks

It's called unique or distinct items count.

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(A2:A8<>"",MATCH("~"&A2:A8,A2:A8&"",0)),ROW(A2:A8)-ROW(A2)+1),1))

Upvote 0
Aladin,

Re your solution I also use the same for extracting a unique/distinct count. Would that solution be a more expensive solution than c_m's?

Also are the any advantages of your solution compared to c_m's?

Upvote 0
one advantage of Aladin's solution that I could think of is: if any cells in the range are blank, Aladin's suggestion would still work while mine wont.

Upvote 0
This modification will protect c_m's formula

=SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF(A1:A7,A1:A7&""))

but it counts empty cells as an occurance, you may want to use

=SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF(A1:A7,A1:A7&""))-SIGN(COUNTIF(A1:A7,""))

addendem: both formulas think that the text entry "10" is the same as the number 10.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your helps guys... can someone explain what the ctrl+shift+enter dose?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back