Count cells based on multiple OR criteria

David627

I need to have multiple ranges count based on several criteria. The hitch is that needs to count if one or more criteria is met not all. I tried using a COUNTIFS however that seems to evaluate based on AND not OR.

Is there a nested COUNTIFS or similar function that would work?

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Have you explored using SUMPRODUCT? A sample of your data could also be helpful to give the best answer.

Upvote 0
I have nested with a count - I've used ISERROR(COUNT) for example, however that wouldn't apply here

Upvote 0
I tried =COUNTIFS(All!F2:F1120,"--",All!H2:H1120,"X",All!I2:I1120,"TRUE",All!J2:J1120,"FALSE") however this is a very tedious work around

Upvote 0
Actually SUMPRODUCT works with count..
I used it a lot in the last few days, and you shoul give it a try =D

Upvote 0
As I understand SUMPRODUCT it will sum (don't see how it does count in MS documenattion) a certain range of cells or multiple ranges of cells. I need to base my ranges on a criteria which I don't believe SUMPRODUCT can do.

My formula will need to look for a specific value in a range or another value in another range. This is why COUNTIFS was my intial consideration since I can have multiple ranges with multiple criteria - the issue is it takes the multiple criteria as an AND condition versus an OR condition which is what I am seeking.

Upvote 0
here is sumproduct as a count
Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1627Acount of A's with 627
2627B2
3627A
4627B
5628A
6628B
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Hi David

It would be easier if you just state your problem and post an example with inputs, outputs and the logic.

There may be many types of solutions you are not aware of, and if we understand the problem we may suggest some.

One case is using Sumproduct() that, as you see in the example, can count and include conditions with And's and Or's.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back