Count characters in a cell

stuartw

Board Regular
Hi Guys

Just a quick one this (famous last words).

I'm trying to count the number of characters (including spaces) in a cell - is there a formula for this?? =CELL I thought would do it but doesn't :(

PS What I'm actually trying to do is return the Surname in a cell containing a full name. I can get the first name easy enough with =left(A1,Find(" ",A1)-1 (I take no credit for that...) but can't get the surname - I thought I might be able to use =right but can't.

Thanks
Stu

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Stuart,

LEN(A1) will return the length of the string in cell A1.

So you need:-

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1,1))

but this assumes you have no middle names /double barrell surnames !!!Thks

Kaps

Upvote 0
Try this

<b>Sheet1</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; padding-left:2pt; padding-right:2pt; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:74px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td >Fred Smith</td><td >Fred</td><td >Smith</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b>Spreadsheet Formulas</b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >B1</td><td >=LEFT(A1,FIND<span style=' color:008000; '>(" ",A1)</span>-1)</td></tr><tr><td >C1</td><td >=RIGHT(A1,LEN<span style=' color:008000; '>(A1)</span>-FIND<span style=' color:008000; '>(" ",A1)</span>)</td></tr></table></td></tr></table> <br />Excel tables to the web - Excel Jeanie Html 4

Upvote 0
Bah! Thanks for the response guys I knew there was a formula somewhere - think it's just that time of day...

Stu

Upvote 0
Code:
=LEN(A1)
will return the length of a text string.

To return text after the first instance of a space (such as SMITH from JOHN SMITH)
try something like this
Code:
=mid(A1,find(" ",a1&" ",1)+1,300)

Upvote 0
use LEN(A1) to get the character count.

What you want is to find the space, use that as the starting point, then grab all the characters after that. To do that you need to use Mid()

=MID(cell,starting point, length)

=MID(A1,point right after the space, length of last name)

=MID(A1,SEARCH(" ",A1,1)+1,LEN(A1) - SEARCH(" ",A1,1)-1)

the first SEARCH bit gives you the character position of the space, we want to start one space over so we +1.

the LEN - SEARCH bit gives you the length of the last name. LEN returns total characters, maybe 15. 5 in first name, one in space, and 8 in last name. SEARCH, again, returns where the space is, which would be #6. So, we are saying length of last name = 15 - 6 - 1 = 8

Upvote 0
ChrisM - see my suggestion. I don't think you need to bother to check for the length of the second portion.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back