Count distinct text values from column with specific conditions within that cell

Fishboy

Hi guys, long time no post!

I am currently helping someone who is using Excel to outline the schedule for multiple users across a month, and then using this to count and track workload and types of jobs carried out.

KEY POINT - I Cannot use any VBA solutions as macro enabled workbooks are not allowed

As per the attached image, columns A and B cover the dates throughout the month going downwards.

Column C shows the tester's schedule. An engagement which lasts more than one day has been merged into a single cell (I know, merged cells are a nightmare!)

Column E is a helper column which is usually hidden, but effectively it works out the value of the adjacent cell for counting purposes as the merged cells otherwise only count as 1. Dont think they will be useful for this task, but they are there if needed and I use them for a separate counting function anyways.

I need to be able to count the distinct values from either column C or E. Basically I am being asked to count how many distinct instances there are of cells containing (LHE), (LFE) or (SFE) within them, separated into the ones which also contain "Testing" or "CE Plus". They need to be distinct as sometimes (as per the example) "MEMBER 1 Testing (R) (LHE)" occurs more than once in the month and should only be counted once.

I had been using variations of the following formula depending on what I was counting, but these count the duplicates as well.
=COUNTIFS($C$6:$C$36,"*Testing*",$C$6:$C$36,"*(LFE)*")

I had also tried using this to count the distinct values, but I have not found a way to incorporate the additional conditions for "Testing" and the (LHE) criteria for example
{=SUM(IF(LEN(E6:E36),1/COUNTIF(E6:E36,E6:E36)))}

Can anyone offer any suggestions that may assist, or am I just making things too complicated?

Thanks in advance,

Fishboy!

Attachments

• Column counting.PNG
    Column counting.PNG
    70 KB · Views: 21
Thanks again Dante. I will get a better example to share with you using the XL2BB tool and come back to you. Might be today, might not be until tomorrow. Appreciate your assistance.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back