Count Duplicate Text in two different columns in two sheets

nd1611

Hi,
I have two different excel files that I need to compare two columns of text. The text columns do not have the same number of populated cells with text and cannot be arranged so that A4 in sheet one = A4 in sheet 2. I want to be able to take the text value in column A row one from sheet one and write a condition where I search the entire range of cells, for example A1:A52 in sheet two, and if any text in that range is the same as the text in A1 from sheet one, I want a True value to show or even better, a value of one. Then A2 in sheet one would be compared to the same range on sheet two and so forth. Hopefully this makes sense. An answer would be much appreciated. Thanks
B

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
First, an assumption: if you are searching for "Red" on the column in sheet#2, and one of those cells contains "Blue and red", this is NOT a match. If this assumption is valid, then in cell B1 write the following formula: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,[OtherBook.xls]Sheet2!$A$1:$A$52,1,FALSE)),"",1)
and copy down.
This should do the trick, providing the initial assumption is valid.
HTH /s/ Larry

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back