Count if any of the following exist

mkicetea

Hello!
This is my first post on this forum, not too familiar with it, if there's an answer for my question on a thread that I might have missed, please post.

Question:
I have set up a calendar on my spreadsheets with names and other info under each day. I would like to count the number of employees that worked for that one month. How do I get excel to count if any of the names (from a list) appear on that certain month?

I have tried doing the countif+countif+countif... formula but I have a long list of employees (20 names)

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
If I was working and worked 15 days, should my name be counted once or 15 times?

Hi Redwolfx,

Your name would could 15 times. and lets say if I had my name on for 10 times, the total count would be 25 and so on for the rest of the employee list.

Thanks,
M

Upvote 0
You could do one of a few things. You could write a really long formula in a single Cell.

You could create a small table with each of the employees names, then do a single countif for each, then sume the totals.

Upvote 0
Ok, I have already done that, but is there an easier way? like count all the names on this list if any appear in this range?

Upvote 0
Maybe

=sum(countif(calendarRange, nameRange))

Upvote 0
Maybe

=sum(countif(calendarRange, nameRange))

I'm getting a 0, I think it's telling excel to find all the cells that contains all of the criteria contained in nameRange. So basically every cell that contains all of these names, that's not what im after. I want a count of any of the names contained in a certain range.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Sorry -- you need to confirm the formula with Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of just Enter.

Or use =sumproduct(countif(calendarRange, nameRange))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back