COUNT-ing Multiple text events in a Cell, and over a Column.

santeria

I think I have found just about every permutation of how to count a Cell content when the cell has text in it.
Thing is, I can't seem to find something that will count multiple occuruences of text.

the basic

=COUNTIF(B7:B81,"**")

Covers a sum up of Cells in a Column, where each cell has only one entry, in this case, and entry of an Initial.

and

=SUM((COUNTIF($B$7:$B$81,INDIRECT("B83"))+(COUNTIF($G$7:$G$81,INDIRECT("B83"))+COUNTIF($L$7:$L$81,INDIRECT("B83"))+COUNTIF($Q$7:$Q$81,INDIRECT("B83"))+COUNTIF($V$7:$V$81,INDIRECT("B83")))))

Covers me for specific Initials that occur over a week.

However, Some columns will have cells that have either

AJ,CJ,MM,AH

or

AJ 031904,CJ 031904,MM 031904,AH 031904

Down the entire row.

The Countif formula is what I basically want to do for each Column, wether it is purely initials, or Initials plus date.

And for the Week, I need to Sum Up Initials for each available initial ( currenly 6 variations), and whilst I am looking for Initials at this time, the initials plus the date of the initials entry is also the main possibility.

I suspect an array formula is required, but I can't conceive of how this would be constructed.
But, if a non-array formula is contsructable, then that would work just as well.

Ta

(y)

Re: COUNT-ing Multiple text events in a Cell, and over a Col

It's the Columns I am trying for...

I Tried

=LEN(B7:B81)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B7:B81,"AL",""))

Which gives a Value error
And ...
if I use

=LEN(B21)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B21,"AL",""))

The answer is 6 even though the AL initial only occurs 3 times.

So, I am still as Confused as Hell, but feel closer since at least the formula is adding up the total number of letters for all three occurences.

:unsure: :unsure:

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
santeria said:
If I model the Formula as :

=(LEN(MCONCAT(B7:B81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT(B7:B81,","),C83,"")))/LEN(C83)

Searching for Initals in C83, is this how the formula Works?
Or Have I misunderstood... it does not seem to be adding the Cells if I do them column by column...

Sorry, I am not sure what I have done wrong?

:unsure:

And what did you get? What was expected? The above searches for instances of C83 in B7 thru B81

Upvote 0
Bingo !!!

If I change/Correct it to:

=(LEN(MCONCAT(B7:B81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT(B7:B81,","),B83,"")))/LEN(B83)

Gets 4, the Right Value.

The thing I have to correct for now is a Search through Multiple Columns

You are so Brilliant Just Jon !!!

Works a Treat... I just have to do this final tweak.

Ta Muchly.

(y) :pray: :pray: :pray: (y)

Upvote 0
Okay,

=(LEN(MCONCAT(B7:B81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT(B7:B81,","),B83,"")))/LEN(B83)

Works a Treat.
How do you change the B83 instance to a Wildcard, so that it will search for the Number of Initials in the Column, instead of a specific Inital... I have tried some variations , but i am not clear on this.

Ta

(y)

Upvote 0

An improved formula --

=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(","&$B$7:$B$81&",")-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(","&$B$7:$B$81&",",B83,"")))/LEN(B83)

which will count instances of B83 in the range B7 thru B81

Upvote 0

Thanks.

This

Does the Same as:
=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(","&$B$7:$B$81&",")-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(","&$B$7:$B$81&",",B83,"")))/LEN(B83)

The Curly is the Variable, and how to add the Day Columns Together ( well second part is not so curly just lengthy, and it's working in separate cells.), just the wildcard element that is something that would be cool.

You are a Bon a Fide Genius !!!!!!!!!

Ta a Bazillion times over !!!!!!

(y) :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: (y)

Upvote 0

Basically, this is, with some modications for cell references, what works for the weekly formulas:

=(LEN(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","),B83,"")))/LEN(B83)+(LEN(MCONCAT($G$7:$G$81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT($G$7:$G$81,","),B83,"")))/LEN(B83)+(LEN(MCONCAT($L$7:$L$81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT($L$7:$L$81,","),B83,"")))/LEN(B83)+(LEN(MCONCAT($Q$7:$Q$81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT($Q$7:$Q$81,","),B83,"")))/LEN(B83)+(LEN(MCONCAT($V$7:$V$81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT($V$7:$V$81,","),B83,"")))/LEN(B83)

:)

Ta

(y)

Upvote 0

Now, if only I understood why the thing works :)

:biggrin:

Upvote 0

Okay,
This charmingly brief formula adds the total number of Initials, variation of 6 initials...

=(LEN(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","),AE5,"")))/LEN(AE5)+(LEN(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","),AF5,"")))/LEN(AF5)+(LEN(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","),AE11,"")))/LEN(AE11)+(LEN(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","),AF11,"")))/LEN(AF11)+(LEN(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","),AE17,"")))/LEN(AE17)+(LEN(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT($B$7:$B$81,","),AF17,"")))/LEN(AF17)

Over the Course of a Day.

Two things I am looking for, can this be cut down to a Wildcard Search for a Variety of initials?

And/Or,

if an initial has a an occurence like, KG, and to save it being entered 6 times, the initials are put in as "KG(6)", and each Set of initials has a Value in brackets after it, can this formula work to total the initials, and the number beside it over the course of the 5 columns ?

Do-able ??
I can't think how, but if you can, then I would appreciate it.

Ta

(y)

Upvote 0

What are the values of AE5, AF5, AE11, AF11, AE17 and AF17? Are these the only ones you would ever want to search for?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back