Count instances of text where cell matches month/year

slam

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
I am trying to prepare holiday data for an import into a resource planning system at work. Human Resources have provided me a spreadsheet of all our sites (100+) and which holidays each site observes from 2019 through to the end of 2025.

Sites are listed in column A. The date of the holiday observed is in row 1 (in the format dd-mmm-yyyy). Then each row lists the name of the holiday in B2, C2, etc. i.e. B1 is 01-Jan-2019 and B2 is New Year's Day (which all sites observe). C1 is 21-Jan-2019, and C2 is Martin Luther King Day (which only a few sites observe). The name of the holiday is obviously irrelevant, so its just a case of whether there's text in a cell or not.

I am trying to total the number of holidays per month on another worksheet. For each site, I think I'd want to look at the month/year across the columns, and then when there's text in the corresponding site row, add to the count. For instance, in the example above, if a site observes both New Year's Day & Martin Luther King Day as its only January holidays, I'd want a 2 displayed in the cell. To help with this, on this other worksheet, I have the same format with sites in column A, and the dates in row 1 (in the format mmm-yyyy).

Have had no success so far, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Hi slam,
you'd need 1 COUNTIFS formula for that.
In your Second worksheet, cell B1, put the first day of the first month (say 1-1-2019), C1 is the first day of the next month (Feb 1st 2019) etc.
A2: =COUNTIFS(DATASHEET!$1:$1,">="&B$1,DATASHEET!$1:$1,"<"&C$1,DATASHEET!2:2,"<>")
Drag that formula to the other cells, that should work. Hope the formula is understandable?
Cheers,
Koen

Upvote 0
Hi Rijnsent,

Only just getting back to this now, but your formula works perfectly. Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back