Count multiple items in a drop-down list with a single cell solution

GTT

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am using this formula to count the text items selected in a column that contains a drop-down list in each cell with some cells containing multiple items selected in each drop down. I am using this format so it displays visible filtered results accurately.

This formula works but requires the addition of a helper column. I am looking for a single cell solution that does not require an additional column.

An additional column is added with this formula:
=SUBTOTAL(3,E4)*(LEN(E4)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(E4,",",""))+1)
Then this column is summed to get the visible count.

Thank you,

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
You could try something like this for data in rows 4 to 100, adjust as needed.
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(E4,ROW(E4:E100)-ROW(E4),0,1,1))*(LEN(E4:E100)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(E4:E100,",",""))+1))
Not sure that it will work without a data sample for testing.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it is not producing the correct answer.

I have uploaded a sample image of what the column would look like. The correct answer in this example would be total of 11 ( 3 CFS and 8 Fs).

Thank you,

Attachments

• Image of count multple items in drop-down list.  .png
    Image of count multple items in drop-down list. .png
    2.2 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0
I've entered the same data into a sheet and it produces the correct answer. If I apply a filter to hide certain rows then the result changes as expected.

Note that if your visible blank cells contain formulas then they will be included in the count. If that is the case then you will need additional allowances to be made for that in the formula.
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(E4,ROW(E4:E100)-ROW(E4),0,1,1))*(LEN(E4:E100)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(E4:E100,",",""))+(E4:E100<>"")))

Upvote 0
If you have the LET function, a slight variation to consider might also be

Excel Formula:
=LET(r,E4:E100,s,TEXTJOIN(",",1,FILTER(r,SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(E4,ROW(r)-ROW(E4),,1)))),LEN(s)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(s,",",""))+1)

Upvote 0
I've entered the same data into a sheet and it produces the correct answer. If I apply a filter to hide certain rows then the result changes as expected.

Note that if your visible blank cells contain formulas then they will be included in the count. If that is the case then you will need additional allowances to be made for that in the formula.
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(E4,ROW(E4:E100)-ROW(E4),0,1,1))*(LEN(E4:E100)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(E4:E100,",",""))+(E4:E100<>"")))

Thank you, this one works perfectly!

Another question if I may.

If I had 3 or 4 choices in the drop-down and I wanted to count how many of one or two (example the "F" & "R") and exclude specific others ("C" & "D") from the total how to modify the formula so that I could input which to include and which to exclude?

Upvote 0
If you have the LET function, a slight variation to consider might also be

Excel Formula:
=LET(r,E4:E100,s,TEXTJOIN(",",1,FILTER(r,SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(E4,ROW(r)-ROW(E4),,1)))),LEN(s)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(s,",",""))+1)

This works perfectly as well. Thank you Peter!

I did save my version and platform originally, and just checked and it is displaying; 365 & Windows.

Upvote 0
This works perfectly as well. Thank you Peter!
You're welcome. Thanks for the follow-up.

I did save my version and platform originally, and just checked and it is displaying; 365 & Windows.
I'm assuming that you are referring to the blue line in my "signature block" which appears in every post, so it wasn't directed specifically at you but as a prompt for all users. You will notice that jasonb75 has something similar too. :)

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Thanks for the follow-up.

I'm assuming that you are referring to the blue line in my "signature block" which appears in every post, so it wasn't directed specifically at you but as a prompt for all users. You will notice that jasonb75 has something similar too. :)

Yes, it was from the signature actually.

Another formula question.

If I had 3 or 4 choices in the drop-down and I wanted to count how many of one or two (example the "F" & "R") and exclude specific others ("C" & "D") from the total how to modify the formula so that I could input which to include and which to exclude?

Thank you,

Upvote 0
If I have understood correctly, I can't see an easy way to do that without vba. Would vba be acceptable?

Also, if a cell contained "X,CFS,A,B" and you were checking for X and A, would that cell count as 2 or just 1?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back