Count number of rows where a dynamically growing set of columns has the specified value

Bries

Hello,
Reading through other's questions and posts in this forum has been a lot of help for me, and I'm hoping this post will be of the same help to others eventually:

Background: I have a table that lists email addresses of people who used an app. Column A contains the list of users, the headers in the remaining columns (B,C,D, etc.) contain the week date, and the value in each value cell is either 1 (yes, user used app this week), 0 (no, user did not use app this week), or -- (user did not have app yet)
Email4/305/75/145/215/286/46/116/186/257/2
1@email.com1111111110
2@email.com----10000001

Question : Is there a dynamic formula I can add into a new table that tells me, for each week, how many users have used the app at least once each month since the app launch, excluding any weeks where they did not have the app yet? Each month is defined as a set of four weeks, starting from the most recent date (based on the column you are in) and going back as far as needed to capture the app launch date (4/30) (in the example above, if today was 7/2, then month 1 = 6/11-7/2, month 2 = 5/14-6/4, month 3 = 4/16-5/7 ). As I move forward in time, the number of months to capture will continue to grow.

Expected table results:

As of 4/30As of 5/7As of 5/14As of 5/21As of 5/28As of 6/4As of 7/2
Number of users who've used app every monthlyNot enough data
, need at least 5 weeks
Not enough data
, need at least 5 weeks
Not enough data
, need at least 5 weeks
Not enough data
, need at least 5 weeks
(the sets of months as of this date are:
1) 5/7-5/28
2) 4/9-4/30

user one is included because he had at least one week of activity in both time spans

User 2 is included because he had activity in month 1, and we ignore month 2 because he didn't have the app yet.)
1) 5/14-6/4
2) 4/16-5/7

user one is included because he had at least one week of activity in both time spans

User 2 is included because he had activity in month 1, and we ignore month 2 because he didn't have the app yet
the sets of months in this date now includes 3 months:
1) 6/4-6/25
2) 5/7-2/28
3) 4/9-4/30

User one is included because he had at least one week of activity in all three time spans

User 2 will be included because he had at least one week of activity in months 1 and 2, and we ignore month 3 because he didnt have the app yet
1) 6/11-7/2
2) 5/14-6/4
3) 4/16-5/7

User one will not count since he has no activity in month 1, so he is not included.

User 2 will be included because he has at least one week of activity in months 1 and 2, and we can ignore month 3 because he didnt have the app yet.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back